Xen asymmetric bandwidth

Ralf Lübben
Hello,

I did some network benchmarking on Xen.
The setup were two pentium 4 2.66 machines with xen kernel 2.6.10 and
gigabit ethernet cards.
I did the benchmark with iperf.

On a normal system I get a maximum bandwidth of 620MBit/s and with Xen about
500MBit/s.
With Iperf you have the possibility to send and receive simultaneous.
On the normal system distribution is symmetric. Pro channel about 310MBit/s
so the sum is 620MBit/s again. On Xen the distribution is asymmetric. The
domain can receive about 320MBit/s but it can only send 180MBit/s. The sum
is also 500MBit/s.

Has anybody an idea why the distribution is asymmetric?

Thanks.

Greetings
Ralf L�bben

Re: Xen asymmetric bandwidth

Ralf Lübben
Ralf L�bben wrote:
Hello,

I did benchmarking again on 100MBit network.
I have there the same effect. I can send to the domain with about 90MBit/s
but only receive 45MBit/s when I send and receive simultaneous.
But if I use the domain as a router I get about 90MBit/s in both directions.

Ralf L�bben