Xen failing to boot dom0

doa379
I built Xen 4.10 from source and it appears to load correctly.
Unfortunately after a brief message like "starting dom0" the device
freezes completely and becomes unresponsive. The screen is blank and
dom0 hasn't loaded either. I don't have a serial console to debug
unfortunately.

I'm suspecting dom0 needs to be built in some special way. Until this
time I have been doing this:

$ make localmodconfig
$ make xenconfig
$ make && make install

But clearly the kernel produced this way is not loading as dom0.

Could someone please tell me what is the significance of the
xen-<ver>.config which is deposited by Xen in /boot?

Re: Xen failing to boot dom0

Kun Cheng
Hi,

1. Can you provide more info about the host machine? Are you booting Xen on a UEFI platform?

2. Can you confirm it's rightly built? I have no idea whether your built it correctly. However I always follow INSTALL , simply:
./configure
make world
make install

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 12:43 AM doa379 <[hidden email]> wrote:
I built Xen 4.10 from source and it appears to load correctly.
Unfortunately after a brief message like "starting dom0" the device
freezes completely and becomes unresponsive. The screen is blank and
dom0 hasn't loaded either. I don't have a serial console to debug
unfortunately.

I'm suspecting dom0 needs to be built in some special way. Until this
time I have been doing this:

$ make localmodconfig
$ make xenconfig
$ make && make install

But clearly the kernel produced this way is not loading as dom0.

Could someone please tell me what is the significance of the
xen-<ver>.config which is deposited by Xen in /boot?

Re: Xen failing to boot dom0

Kun Cheng

> Yes Xen is built for a EFI platform. It was able to compile and produced the
> .efi file. I load this file directly without a bootloader and the
> corresponding xen.cfg has the line kernel=vmlinuz-... in the efi directory.

Alright, have you generated a efi entry for loading Xen?
What's your host OS?

> Also I am regularly custom compiling the Linux kernel and it loads up fine
> as a standalone unit.
>

> On 11/01/18 09:47, Kun Cheng wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 1. Can you provide more info about the host machine? Are you booting Xen
>> on a UEFI platform?
>>
>> 2. Can you confirm it's rightly built? I have no idea whether your built
>> it correctly. However I always follow INSTALL , simply:
>> ./configure
>> make world
>> make install
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 12:43 AM doa379 <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     I built Xen 4.10 from source and it appears to load correctly.
>>     Unfortunately after a brief message like "starting dom0" the device
>>     freezes completely and becomes unresponsive. The screen is blank and
>>     dom0 hasn't loaded either. I don't have a serial console to debug
>>     unfortunately.
>>
>>     I'm suspecting dom0 needs to be built in some special way. Until this
>>     time I have been doing this:
>>
>>     $ make localmodconfig
>>     $ make xenconfig
>>     $ make && make install
>>
>>     But clearly the kernel produced this way is not loading as dom0.
>>
>>     Could someone please tell me what is the significance of the
>>     xen-<ver>.config which is deposited by Xen in /boot?

Re: Xen failing to boot dom0

doa379
If it's any help to someone the last message by Xen is "switching to VGA
console". The screen then goes blank and the device is unresponsive.

Re: Xen failing to boot dom0

doa379
> Do you add console=hvc0 or use any serial consoles for debugging?

I tried console=hvc0, console=tty0 and also removed the option
altogether. No luck.

Well then, I recompiled the Linux kernel with stock options and it
worked. So in my custom kernel config that I was originally using some
components were missing as I suspected all along. However I'm still at a
loss at knowing or understanding which ones precisely.

$ make xenconfig

doesn't seem to tick all the necessary options it would seem when
constructing dom0

I think I will abandon this project as it's too difficult and time
consuming to debug. The Linux kernel is a handful as it is and there are
plenty of bugs in it to add a system like Xen to the game. The reason I
looked to Xen was again to circumvent some of the buggy features in the
kernel in the first place. The kernel tries to do too much for its own good.