Xen + networking woes

jaikumar Ganesh
Hi ,

Basically we want all xen (dom-0 and other VMs to be on a private network).

We have the following configuration:

We have a machine with a statically assigned IP ( 192.168.0.1). This machine has 2 nics (eth0 and eth1). eth0 has the IP address 192.168.0.1. eth1 is not connected.

So we basically want a virtual machine network 10.10.10.x, so all VMs take address from this range. (10.10.10.x).

eth1 is assigned IP 10.10.10.1 and dhcp server for the network 10.10.10.x runs on the same machine.

We want xen domain-0 to be on eth1 and all VMs to pick up a IP from the dhcp server. There is a static route between eth0 and eth1 to access the public network.

Is this possible? and how do we go about doing this?

Thanks,
Jai

Re: Xen + networking woes

jaikumar Ganesh
Hi Tom
   I understand your point.
My machine has a static IP address and I don't have any many more IP address available on the subnet that I can assign to my domains..

So we wanted our domains to be on private network on that machine. How do we go about doing this?

I hope i am making sense.

Thanks

On 10/26/05, Tom Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, jaikumar Ganesh wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> Basically we want all xen (dom-0 and other VMs to be on a private network).
>
> We have the following configuration:
>
> We have a machine with a statically assigned IP (
> 192.168.0.1<http://192.168.0.1>).
> This machine has 2 nics (eth0 and eth1). eth0 has the IP address
> 192.168.0.1<http://192.168.0.1>.
> eth1 is not connected.
>
> So we basically want a virtual machine network 10.10.10.x, so all VMs take
> address from this range. ( 10.10.10.x).
>
> eth1 is assigned IP 10.10.10.1 <http://10.10.10.1> and dhcp server for the
> network 10.10.10.x runs on the same machine.
>
> We want xen domain-0 to be on eth1

^--- that line doesn't make any sense to me. dom0 is basically the master
domain, it is the only domain that seems the physical ethernet cards.
Unless you are running domains on other physical machines, you do not need
nor want eth1 ... so "routing" between eth0 and eth1 is not needed, and
could easily get you into trouble. Just leave eth1 down (forget/pretend
that it doesn't exist). Xen will create virtual ethernet cards for all the
domUs...

-Tom

> and all VMs to pick up a IP from the dhcp
> server. There is a static route between eth0 and eth1 to access the public
> network.
>
> Is this possible? and how do we go about doing this?
>
> Thanks,
> Jai

Re: Xen + networking woes

Dirk H. Schulz-2

you need not use eth1 for that. Just configure a static bridge in your
/etc/network/interfaces (with "static" I want to emphasize that it is
not dynamically setup by xen) like so:

auto xen-br0
iface xen-br0 inet static
        address 10.10.10.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 10.10.10.0
        broadcast 10.10.10.255
        pre-up brctl addbr xen-br0
        post-down brctl delbr xen-br0

Next you have to "silence" your xend-network-script (because it would
set up a bridge which now is not needed) - I have simply put in a "exit
0" after the first line.

Now all your vms will be connected to the bridge by the vif-bridge
script and you are fine. If your static route is working that should be it.

The main difference to xend default config is that eth0 is not enslaved
by the bridge - which is what you wanted, as far as I understand it.

Dirk

jaikumar Ganesh schrieb:

>Hi ,
>
>Basically we want all xen (dom-0 and other VMs to be on a private network).
>
>We have the following configuration:
>
>We have a machine with a statically assigned IP (
>192.168.0.1<http://192.168.0.1>).
>This machine has 2 nics (eth0 and eth1). eth0 has the IP address
>192.168.0.1<http://192.168.0.1>.
>eth1 is not connected.
>
>So we basically want a virtual machine network 10.10.10.x, so all VMs take
>address from this range. (10.10.10.x).
>
>eth1 is assigned IP 10.10.10.1 <http://10.10.10.1> and dhcp server for the
>network 10.10.10.x runs on the same machine.
>
>We want xen domain-0 to be on eth1 and all VMs to pick up a IP from the dhcp
>server. There is a static route between eth0 and eth1 to access the public
>network.
>
>Is this possible? and how do we go about doing this?
>
>Thanks,
>Jai

boy

Re: Xen + networking woes

boy
How would one write a similar one for RHL based distros like FC,CentOS. The part I doubt are pre-up and pre-down lines.  Are pre-up and pre-down Debian specific? How would I  gracefully create and destroy the bridge as Dirk wrote for  Debian?