Xen on Debian Stretch on UEFI

Ian Macdonald-2
Hi,

I have been setting up a new server to run Xen, but can't seem to get
the machine to boot the hypervisor correctly. The server has UEFI
firmware and I don't think we can run it in BIOS compatibility mode
because the particular hardware configuration requires full UEFI support
in order for everything to work.

I have installed Debian Stretch on the server and can boot via UEFI into
GRUB and then Linux just fine.

I have tried following the directions found on this page in order to get
Xen booting:
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_EFI

I have found that the Debian xen-hypervisor-4.8-amd64 package installs a
file at /boot/xen-4.8-amd64.efi. Should I be able to use this as my EFI
boot file? Or do I still need to actually compile Xen from sources in
order to get a working 'xen.efi' file?

I have tried copying all files from the /boot directory into
/boot/efi/EFI/xen/ and then creating /boot/efi/EFI/xen/xen-4.8-amd64.cfg
with the following contents:

[global]
default=xen

[xen]
options=console=vga loglvl=all noreboot
kernel=vmlinuz-4.9.0-6-amd64
root=UUID=c0589119-f679-4b3c-ac62-7a686ffe00b9 ro
ramdisk=initrd.img-4.9.0-6-amd64

I then created an EFI boot entry pointing at Xen:
efibootmgr -w -L Xen -l "\EFI\xen\xen-4.8-amd64.efi" -c

When I try to boot from that menu entry, the machine's firmware just
returns to system setup or to the boot menu, suggesting to me that it
doesn't recognise or isn't able to boot from xen-4.8-amd64.efi. I also
tried renaming that file to xen.efi and having the config in xen.cfg
just in case that made a difference, but the result was the same.

I have tried booting Debian without using GRUB, using the kernel EFI
stub to boot, according to the instructions at
'https://wiki.debian.org/EFIStub'. I got that to work for booting the
normal kernel, so I know I can boot the mainline Linux kernel directly
from the EFI firmware without GRUB, but I've not been able to boot the
Xen hypervisor.

Any suggestions or advice would very much appreciated.

Many thanks,
-Ian Macdonald
 GreenNet

--
Ian Macdonald
GPG/PGP: 0778 889F EE5D DFB4 D195 97A7 779B D6BF A305 DEFC

GreenNet Ltd, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT
UK Tel:      0330 355 4011
Intl:        +44 20 7065 0935
Twitter:     @GreenNetISP
Registered in England & Wales, Company No. 02070438

Re: Xen on Debian Stretch on UEFI

Ian Macdonald-2
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried with your suggested 'efibootmgr'
command and it set up a boot entry identical to the one I already had. I
only have one ESP partition on this machine right now, so if I leave out
those parameters, it looks like the system correctly guesses the
location of the ESP partition for me anyway.

However, I installed an EFI shell and was able to try booting the
xen-4.8-amd64.efi file from the EFI shell. The output I got was this:
****
Xen 4.8.3 (c/s ) EFI loader
Using configuration file 'xen-4.8-amd64.cfg'
vmlinuz-4.9.0-6-amd64: [snip long hex numbers]
initrd.img-4.9.0-6-amd64: [snip long hex numbers]
Read failed for initrd.img-4.9.0-6-amd64: ErrCode 0x8000000000000004
****

Some searching online turned up these links:

https://www.mail-archive.com/xen-devel@.../msg08323.html

https://datacentersupport.lenovo.com/es/es/solutions/ht506400

That error code apparently means EFI_BAD_BUFFER_SIZE, meaning the EFI
implementation can't read arbitrarily sized blocks, so the firmware
doesn't correctly read larger files when loading the Xen EFI stub. In
this case I suspect it's because the initrd.img file is about 18MB in
size with the firmware able to cope with files up to 16MB.

That second link above seems to suggest a patch to the Xen code that
will produce a xen.efi file which works around the initrd.img block size
issue. I am tempted to try patching and compiling Xen in order to get a
xen.efi file that will hopefully work around the file size issue.

Has anyone else run up against this problem? Any suggestions as to the
best way to get the hypervisor and dom0 booting in this situation?

Thanks in advance for any help, it's turned out to be a very long
process getting this new server up and running...

Best wishes,
-Ian

On 19/04/18 17:43, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hey, your boot record needs to direct the firmware to disk and partition as well. Also, UEFI path separators like *nix, not Windows.
>
> Here's a good resource from ArchWiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#efibootmgr
>
> So in : efibootmgr -w -L Xen -l "\EFI\xen\xen-4.8-amd64.efi" -c
>
> If your ESD is on sda1 then your boot record needs to be: efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sda --part 1 --loader /EFI/xen/xen-4.8-amd64.efi --label "Xen" -w
> Notice that disk, part, loader are not quoted (IIRC I had issues when these options were in quotes) , and again path separator direction '/' not '\'
>
> Robert McNicol
> IT Systems Administrator
> ServiceMaster Restore | Fraser Valley

My desk:     +44 20 3559 4011
Twitter:     @GreenNetISP
Registered in England & Wales, Company No. 02070438

Re: Xen on Debian Stretch on UEFI

John Naggets
Hi Ian,

Have a look at this thread on the xen-devel mailing list:
https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2018-03/msg00522.html

To sum up you need to compile your own grub with the latest version
and do some chain loading (UEFI -> GRUB -> Xen) as it is not possible
to boot Xen directly from UEFI unfortunately.

Best,
J.

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 10:12 AM, Ian Macdonald <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been setting up a new server to run Xen, but can't seem to get
> the machine to boot the hypervisor correctly. The server has UEFI
> firmware and I don't think we can run it in BIOS compatibility mode
> because the particular hardware configuration requires full UEFI support
> in order for everything to work.
>
> I have installed Debian Stretch on the server and can boot via UEFI into
> GRUB and then Linux just fine.
>
> I have tried following the directions found on this page in order to get
> Xen booting:
> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_EFI
>
> I have found that the Debian xen-hypervisor-4.8-amd64 package installs a
> file at /boot/xen-4.8-amd64.efi. Should I be able to use this as my EFI
> boot file? Or do I still need to actually compile Xen from sources in
> order to get a working 'xen.efi' file?
>
> I have tried copying all files from the /boot directory into
> /boot/efi/EFI/xen/ and then creating /boot/efi/EFI/xen/xen-4.8-amd64.cfg
> with the following contents:
>
> [global]
> default=xen
>
> [xen]
> options=console=vga loglvl=all noreboot
> kernel=vmlinuz-4.9.0-6-amd64
> root=UUID=c0589119-f679-4b3c-ac62-7a686ffe00b9 ro
> ramdisk=initrd.img-4.9.0-6-amd64
>
> I then created an EFI boot entry pointing at Xen:
> efibootmgr -w -L Xen -l "\EFI\xen\xen-4.8-amd64.efi" -c
>
> When I try to boot from that menu entry, the machine's firmware just
> returns to system setup or to the boot menu, suggesting to me that it
> doesn't recognise or isn't able to boot from xen-4.8-amd64.efi. I also
> tried renaming that file to xen.efi and having the config in xen.cfg
> just in case that made a difference, but the result was the same.
>
> I have tried booting Debian without using GRUB, using the kernel EFI
> stub to boot, according to the instructions at
> 'https://wiki.debian.org/EFIStub'. I got that to work for booting the
> normal kernel, so I know I can boot the mainline Linux kernel directly
> from the EFI firmware without GRUB, but I've not been able to boot the
> Xen hypervisor.
>
> Any suggestions or advice would very much appreciated.
>
> Many thanks,
> -Ian Macdonald
>  GreenNet
>
> --
> Ian Macdonald
> GPG/PGP: 0778 889F EE5D DFB4 D195 97A7 779B D6BF A305 DEFC
> XMPP/OTR: [hidden email]  Wire.com: @idmacdonald
>
> GreenNet Ltd, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT
> UK Tel:      0330 355 4011
> Intl:        +44 20 7065 0935
> Twitter:     @GreenNetISP
> Registered in England & Wales, Company No. 02070438

Re: Xen on Debian Stretch on UEFI

Ian Macdonald-2
Hi John,

It turns out that on Friday I was able to get Xen booting directly from
UEFI, without using GRUB at all.

I followed the instructions on this page about getting the hypervisor to
boot directly from UEFI:

https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_EFI#Xen_as_EFI_binary_.28loading.29

However, it looks like our server's UEFI firmware has problems reading
files bigger than 16MB if there is no additional chunking or buffering
done. That issue is described on this page, along with a patch to the
hypervisor sources that works around the problem:
https://datacentersupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht506400

I ended up having to apply that patch and then compile the kernel in
order to get a xen.efi file that would work on our server, but now it is
working and the server is booting just fine. I may file a bug report
about this, though I'm not familiar with the UEFI specification to know
whether this is considered a UEFI firmware bug or something that should
be fixed in the hypervisor/kernel code.

Best wishes,
-Ian

On 20/04/18 18:28, [hidden email] wrote:
> To me it looks like xen is actually booting its just choking on bringing up Linux kernel, and the kernel ramdisk....
>
> Looking at your xen.cfg that also differs from mine in this way:
> kernel=vmlinuz-4.9.0-6-amd64
> [ root=UUID=c0589119-f679-4b3c-ac62-7a686ffe00b9 ro ] ramdisk=initrd.img-4.9.0-6-amd64

That's interesting, I tried adding those brackets and it broke my boot
configuration, the brackets prevented the kernel from loading and so the
boot process would just stop with a complaint about how there was no
kernel loaded.

Trying to boot via the EFI shell, I found the UEFI firmware complained
that it couldn't open the initrd.img file. It looks like the EFI firware
has trouble reading the initrd.img file because it's over 16MB in size,
 as described on these pages:

https://www.mail-archive.com/xen-devel@.../msg08323.html
https://datacentersupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht506400

In the end, I applied the patch found at the bottom of that Lenovo page
and custom compiled my own hypervisor kernel. That solved the problem
and I could get Xen to boot.

I may file a bug report about this, though I am unsure whether it should
be considered a bug in the server's UEFI firmware or whether it should
be considered a bug in the kernel. Maybe I should think of it as a
'feature request' for the kernel.

Thanks again for your help, in any case.

Best wishes,
-Ian