Xen on IBM BladeServers

Colin Coe

Hi all

I'm a Xen newbie...  I'm using RHEL4 Update 2 on IBM BladeServers.  Has
anyone got Xen 3 working on these?  If so, how did you manage it?

TIA

Colin Coe

Bunnings Legal Disclaimer:

1)     This email is confidential and may contain legally privileged
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not
disclose or use the information contained in it.  If you have received
this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email and
delete the document.

2)     All emails sent to and sent from Bunnings Group Limited.
are scanned for content.  Any material deemed to contain inappropriate
subject matter will be reported to the email administrator of all
parties concerned.

RE: Xen on IBM BladeServers

Todd H. Foster
Absolutely.......What do you want to know about my setup?  I do have X
running as well on the guest system.

Cheers,

Todd H Foster, CEO

Technetium, Inc.
The Technical Element.
One Ten Pine Avenue Suite 1080
Long Beach, CA 90802
----------------------------

Phone: (310) 508-6476
Fax: (562) 427-4707
Email: [hidden email]
Web: www.technetiuminc.com

RE: Xen on IBM BladeServers

Colin Coe

My test node hangs on boot up after install the Xen 3 binaries (not the
RPMs).  Screen shot attached.  These are the EM64T based blades.

/etc/grub.conf
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
<snip>
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
<snip>
title Xen 3.0 / XenLinux 2.6
       kernel /xen-3.0.gz console=vga
       module /vmlinuz-2.6-xen root=/dev/rootvg/root ro console=tty0
       module /initrd-2.6-xen.img

Thanks

CC

hung_blade.jpg (57K) Download Attachment

RE: Xen on IBM BladeServers

Jamie Moore
Todd,

I would love to know how you got X running there. I tried and course it
failed when it couldn't locate the display. I also tried using freenx
which I can run fine on the host, but when I run it in the guest I get a
permission (show in the client but actually from SSH/freenx) telling me
that in the guest it could not create a temp file /tmp. Of course it is
not a normal permission problem since there are clearly sufficient
rights, so it must be something else.

BTW both the host and guest are RHEL AS 4 Update 2 (the host is running
in a VMware)

Here is the NoMachine client output:

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 6036
NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
NX> 200 Connected to address: 192.168.0.21 on port: 22
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
HELLO NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-44 OS (GPL)
NX> 105 hello NXCLIENT - Version 1.5.0
NX> 134 Accepted protocol: 1.5.0
NX> 105 SET SHELL_MODE SHELL
NX> 105 SET AUTH_MODE PASSWORD
NX> 105 login
NX> 101 User: root
NX> 102 Password:
NX> 103 Welcome to: demo.localdomain user: root
NX> 105 listsession --user="root" --status="suspended,running"
--geometry="1280x1024x16+render" --type="unix-kde"
mktemp: cannot create temp file /tmp/nxserver_tmp.nhHqc3592: Permission
denied
Killed by signal 15.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Jamie Moore

RE: Xen on IBM BladeServers

Ian Pratt
> My test node hangs on boot up after install the Xen 3
> binaries (not the RPMs).  Screen shot attached.  These are
> the EM64T based blades.

Which particular model is this? I'm sure some of the IBM folks on the
list will be keen to investigate.

You might like to try adding acpi=off to the xen command line (as
opposed to the linux one), or try maxcpus=1 on the linux command line.
Also, you might want to check for a bios update.

Ian

> /etc/grub.conf
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> <snip>
> #boot=/dev/sda
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> <snip>
> title Xen 3.0 / XenLinux 2.6
>        kernel /xen-3.0.gz console=vga
>        module /vmlinuz-2.6-xen root=/dev/rootvg/root ro console=tty0
>        module /initrd-2.6-xen.img
>
> Thanks
>
> CC

RE: Xen on IBM BladeServers

Colin Coe

I've probably not provided enough info.  The hang happens will Linux is
booting not Xen.  The model is HS20 (884325M).  These are dual Xeon, EM64T.

Thanks
CC

> My test node hangs on boot up after install the Xen 3
> binaries (not the RPMs).  Screen shot attached.  These are
> the EM64T based blades.

Which particular model is this? I'm sure some of the IBM folks on the
list will be keen to investigate.

You might like to try adding acpi=off to the xen command line (as
opposed to the linux one), or try maxcpus=1 on the linux command line.
Also, you might want to check for a bios update.

Ian

> /etc/grub.conf
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> <snip>
> #boot=/dev/sda
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> <snip>
> title Xen 3.0 / XenLinux 2.6
>        kernel /xen-3.0.gz console=vga
>        module /vmlinuz-2.6-xen root=/dev/rootvg/root ro console=tty0
>        module /initrd-2.6-xen.img
>
> Thanks
>
> CC

Anthony Liguori
Colin Coe wrote:

>I've probably not provided enough info.  The hang happens will Linux is
>booting not Xen.  The model is HS20 (884325M).  These are dual Xeon, EM64T.

An HS20 is part of the daily Xen build testing.  Can you provide a bit
more info?  Where did you get your 3.0 tarball?  What process did you
use to build it.  What do you mean by 'hang happens will Linux is
booting not Xen.'.  Is this a Linux running within Xen or Linux on bare
metal?

You should also try Ian's recommendations of disabling acpi and setting
maxcpus=1.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

>Thanks
>CC

Nivedita Singhvi-2
Colin Coe wrote:
> I've probably not provided enough info.  The hang happens will Linux is
> booting not Xen.  The model is HS20 (884325M).  These are dual Xeon, EM64T.
>
> Thanks
> CC

Colin,

If you still haven't gotten it to boot, could you please
file a bug in the Xen bugzilla with a little more info,
namely, which binaries you are using, distro, version,
your kernel config, etc?

thanks,
Nivedita

RE: Xen on IBM BladeServers

Andrew D. Ball
Are you running X?  I've found odd behavior with X Window running on
vanilla Linux 2.6.12.6 kernels on HS20 8843-25U blades.  I've been
asking our Network OS support team about this, it looks like both RHEL
and SLES have patches to fix this, but I'm not sure if the plain Linux
kernel does.

If the freeze does indeed happen after X loads, try booting to runlevel
3 instead [can be done by appending '3' to the kernel parameters, as
this will be fed to init] as a temporary workaround.  I'll find out more
about why recent vanilla (and Xen-enabled) Linux kernels have issues
with the ATI chipset on the blade's motherboard.

Thanks.
Andrew

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 13:51 +0800, Colin Coe wrote:

> I've probably not provided enough info.  The hang happens will Linux is
> booting not Xen.  The model is HS20 (884325M).  These are dual Xeon, EM64T.
>
> Thanks
> CC

RE: Xen on IBM BladeServers

Colin Coe

Hi all

This is fixed now.  I was doing a couple of things wrong including a typo in
grub.conf and using the x86_32p binaries instead of the x86_64 binaries.

Thanks

CC