Xen on Raspberry Pi

Iain Hunter

Hi,

Could someone confirm that there is no support for raspberry pi in Xen? I found a mail from Ian Campbell that original Pi used a custom interrupt handler on the Broadcom device that did not match Xen implementation. Is this still the case for Pi3 and its A53s?

Thanks,
Iain

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Xen on Raspberry Pi

Julien Grall-3

On 08/06/18 13:16, Iain Hunter wrote:

> Could someone confirm that there is no support for raspberry pi in Xen?
> I found a mail from Ian Campbell that original Pi used a custom
> interrupt handler on the Broadcom device that did not match Xen
> implementation. Is this still the case for Pi3 and its A53s?

Yes. The RPI 3 is still using the Broadcom interrupt controller. It does
not have virtualization extension provided and not based on the GIC
specification.

Do you have any requirement to use RPI? If not, I would recommend
platform such as Pine64, they are cheap and have similar spec as the Pi3.

Julien Grall

Re: Xen on Raspberry Pi

Iain Hunter

Hi Julien,

I actually need 64 bit kernel on A53. I tried Orange Pi PC2 but found a K4.14 u-boot and Linux painful with a lack of documentation and forum activity to search . Raspberry Pi gave me the documentation to get it up and running natively.

So, I’ll go back to the Orange Pi.

Thanks for the advice,

Iain

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> Could someone confirm that there is no support for raspberry pi in Xen?

> I found a mail from Ian Campbell that original Pi used a custom

> interrupt handler on the Broadcom device that did not match Xen

> implementation. Is this still the case for Pi3 and its A53s?

Yes. The RPI 3 is still using the Broadcom interrupt controller. It does

not have virtualization extension provided and not based on the GIC

specification.

Do you have any requirement to use RPI? If not, I would recommend

platform such as Pine64, they are cheap and have similar spec as the Pi3.

Julien Grall

Re: Xen on Raspberry Pi

Julien Grall-3
Hi,

I am CCing Andre and Stefano. They might be able to help boot Xen on the
Orange Pi PC2.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall

Re: Xen on Raspberry Pi

Andre Przywara-3
Hi,

On 08/06/18 14:21, Julien Grall wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am CCing Andre and Stefano. They might be able to help boot Xen on the
> Orange Pi PC2.
>
> Cheers,
>
> On 08/06/18 14:04, Iain Hunter wrote:
>> Hi Julien,
>>
>> I actually need 64 bit kernel on A53. I tried Orange Pi PC2 but found
>> a K4.14 u-boot and Linux painful with a lack of documentation and
>> forum activity to search . Raspberry Pi gave me the documentation to
>> get it up and running natively.

Mainline Linux 4.14 supports Allwinner A64/H5 quite well, but 4.15 is
even better, since it adds Ethernet support.
You can avoid most of the fiddling by using a generic, prebaked firmware
image: https://github.com/apritzel/pine64/tree/master/images
This boots UEFI apps or arm64 kernels, from USB drives, MMC or from PXE.
If you play with your own kernel, defconfig should have everything you
need. Also newer distribution kernels, for instance the one from Ubuntu
18.04, should work.
Distribution installers based on grub work with that image.
Unfortunately many *installers* lacks some modules for USB and SD, so
you can't directly install it (yet), but if you use an existing rootfs,
it should work (you might need to create a suitable initrd first, though).
Once you have Linux booting, using Xen shouldn't be much of an issue.
See
https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Allwinner
for the magic U-Boot bits.

HTH,

Cheers,
Andre.

>> So, I’ll go back to the Orange Pi.
>>
>> Thanks for the advice,
>>
>> Iain

>> Windows 10

Re: Xen on Raspberry Pi

Iain Hunter

Hi Andre,

Thanks for the tips. I will let you know the results.

Iain

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> I am CCing Andre and Stefano. They might be able to help boot Xen on the

> Orange Pi PC2.

> Cheers,

> On 08/06/18 14:04, Iain Hunter wrote:

>> Hi Julien,

>> I actually need 64 bit kernel on A53. I tried Orange Pi PC2 but found

>> a K4.14 u-boot and Linux painful with a lack of documentation and

>> forum activity to search . Raspberry Pi gave me the documentation to

>> get it up and running natively.

Mainline Linux 4.14 supports Allwinner A64/H5 quite well, but 4.15 is

even better, since it adds Ethernet support.

You can avoid most of the fiddling by using a generic, prebaked firmware

image: https://github.com/apritzel/pine64/tree/master/images

This boots UEFI apps or arm64 kernels, from USB drives, MMC or from PXE.

If you play with your own kernel, defconfig should have everything you

need. Also newer distribution kernels, for instance the one from Ubuntu

18.04, should work.

Distribution installers based on grub work with that image.

Unfortunately many *installers* lacks some modules for USB and SD, so

you can't directly install it (yet), but if you use an existing rootfs,

it should work (you might need to create a suitable initrd first, though).

Once you have Linux booting, using Xen shouldn't be much of an issue.

See

https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Allwinner

for the magic U-Boot bits.

HTH,

Cheers,

Andre.

>> So, I’ll go back to the Orange Pi.

>> Thanks for the advice,

>> Iain

>> Windows 10

Re: Xen on Raspberry Pi

Stefano Stabellini-4
Hi Iain,

Also see "Booting Xen under EFI platform" in the following doc on how to
boot Xen directly from UEFI:

https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_EFI

This is a concrete tutorial for qemu-system-aarch64; it has a few QEMU
specific things in there, but it should give you a good overview on how
to setup UEFI boot with Xen on ARM:

https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/qemu-system-aarch64

Cheers,

Stefano