Xen-tools/utils Version Confusion

ray-2

I would like to get xen-tools working on Debian 9 stretch, with Xen 4.8.1.

When I enter

xl

I get the message

ERROR:  Can't find version 4.6 of xen utils, bailing out.

I attempted

apt-get install xen-tools

but received the message

xen-utils-4.8 is already the newest version (4.8.1-1+deb9u1)

How do I get xl to work?

Ray

Re: Xen-tools/utils Version Confusion

George Dunlap-5
On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 3:23 PM, Ray Joseph <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would like to get xen-tools working on Debian 9 stretch, with Xen 4.8.1.

Sorry, do you mean the Xen user-land tools (like xl, xentop, qemu-dm,
and so on), or do you mean xen-tools, the confusingly-named package
designed to make it easy to generate Xen guest images and
corresponding config scripts[1]?

[1] https://xen-tools.org/software/xen-tools/

> When I enter
>
> xl
>
> I get the message
>
> ERROR:  Can't find version 4.6 of xen utils, bailing out.
>

> I attempted
>
> apt-get install xen-tools
>
> but received the message
>
> xen-utils-4.8 is already the newest version (4.8.1-1+deb9u1)

The Xen userspace tools are linked to the running Xen hypervisor
version.  It looks like you may have Xen hypervisor 4.6, but not have
the Xen 4.6 tools, but only the Xen 4.8 tools.

> How do I get xl to work?

My guess would be either reboot into Xen 4.8, or install xen-utils-4.6.

CC'ing Ian Jackson, who has been doing work on the Debian Xen package,
in case I've said something wrong and/or you need further help.

 -George

Re: Xen-tools/utils Version Confusion

Ian Jackson-2
George Dunlap writes ("Re: [Xen-users] Xen-tools/utils Version Confusion"):
> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 3:23 PM, Ray Joseph <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I would like to get xen-tools working on Debian 9 stretch, with Xen 4.8.1.
> > When I enter
> >
> > xl
> >
> > I get the message
> >
> > ERROR:  Can't find version 4.6 of xen utils, bailing out.

I think George's suggestion of mismatched versions is plausible.

Also, maybe you need to reboot ?  If you upgraded your stretch install
but have not yet rebooted, you might still be running a 4.6 hypervisor
and have no 4.6 tools.

> > How do I get xl to work?
>
> My guess would be either reboot into Xen 4.8, or install xen-utils-4.6.

Yes.

Ianb.

Re: Xen-tools/utils Version Confusion

ray-2

[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>, "Ian Jackson" <[hidden email]>

[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I would like to get xen-tools working on Debian 9 stretch, with Xen 4.8.1.

> Sorry, do you mean the Xen user-land tools (like xl, xentop, qemu-dm,
> and so on), or do you mean xen-tools, the confusingly-named package
> designed to make it easy to generate Xen guest images and
> corresponding config scripts[1]?

Yes, I meant xen-tools in userland.

> [1]
https://xen-tools.org/software/xen-tools/

> >When I enter
>>
>> xl
>>
>> I get the message
>>
>> ERROR: Can't find version 4.6 of xen utils, bailing out.
>>

>> I attempted
>>
>> apt-get install xen-tools

What I actually input was xen-utils, not xen-tools (at this point)

>> but received the message
>>
>> xen-utils-4.8 is already the newest version (4.8.1-1+deb9u1)

> The Xen userspace tools are linked to the running Xen hypervisor
> version. It looks like you may have Xen hypervisor 4.6, but not have
> the Xen 4.6 tools, but only the Xen 4.8 tools.

By being linked, do you mean xen-tools 4.8 should be installed if Xen 4.8 is installed?

I rechecked, and I am running Xen 4.8.1. I would expect xen-tools 4.8 to be installed and require the latest xen-utils (4.8).

When I run

apt-get xen-tools

the system reports

xen-tools is already the latest version (4.7-1)

>> How do I get xl to work?

> My guess would be either reboot into Xen 4.8, or install xen-utils-4.6.

If I install xen-utils-4.6, it would seem it would then be out of since with Xen 4.8.

It looks like the culprit is xen-tools 4.7. It seems out of sync with xen-utils and Xen.

I just checked and xen-tools 4.7 is the latest.

I will reboot and and try this again.

[Note: I just read Ian’s comments – reboot.}

> CC'ing Ian Jackson, who has been doing work on the Debian Xen package,
> in case I've said something wrong and/or you need further help.

> -George

Ray

BTW, I need to learn how and what email client to use for this

Re: Xen-tools/utils Version Confusion, Solved

ray-2
Thank you all.

Rebooting saved the day.

Ray

George Dunlap writes ("Re: [Xen-users] Xen-tools/utils Version Confusion"):
> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 3:23 PM, Ray Joseph <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I would like to get xen-tools working on Debian 9 stretch, with Xen 4.8.1.
> > When I enter
> >
> > xl
> >
> > I get the message
> >
> > ERROR: Can't find version 4.6 of xen utils, bailing out.

I think George's suggestion of mismatched versions is plausible.

Also, maybe you need to reboot ? If you upgraded your stretch install
but have not yet rebooted, you might still be running a 4.6 hypervisor
and have no 4.6 tools.

> > How do I get xl to work?
>
> My guess would be either reboot into Xen 4.8, or install xen-utils-4.6.

Yes.

Ianb.

Xen Boot Error post Rebuild

ray-2

Xen starts the boot process and locks-up on a error repeatedly reporting a problem with [i915].  I do not have a i915, mine is a 5500.

Xen 4.8 was working from Debian 9.  I apt-get update then apt-get upgrade, rebooted, it came up fine.  I rebooted again and it failed.

I was able to select the Debian boot and it works.

I made a fresh install of Debian 9 including reformatting the hard drive.  Debian came up fine.  I installed Xen 4.9 and then xen-tools.

On reboot, I got the same [i915] error.

I have search for i915 errors and there are many.  None seem to be applicable to this case.

Is there a way I can get to the Xen logs from the Debian instance to see what is happening?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Ray

Re: Xen Boot Error post Rebuild

Ray Joseph

I mistakenly reported "I installed Xen 4.9" .  I had actually installed Xen 4.8.

I have been looking at the /var/log files trying to find info.  There are many, but I don't know if any of these represent the Xen boot error log.  In which log should this be located?

Ray
(Note:  Unedited from gmail.)

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Ray Joseph <[hidden email]> wrote:

Xen starts the boot process and locks-up on a error repeatedly reporting a problem with [i915].  I do not have a i915, mine is a 5500.

Xen 4.8 was working from Debian 9.  I apt-get update then apt-get upgrade, rebooted, it came up fine.  I rebooted again and it failed.

I was able to select the Debian boot and it works.

I made a fresh install of Debian 9 including reformatting the hard drive.  Debian came up fine.  I installed Xen 4.9 and then xen-tools.

On reboot, I got the same [i915] error.

I have search for i915 errors and there are many.  None seem to be applicable to this case.

Is there a way I can get to the Xen logs from the Debian instance to see what is happening?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Ray

Re: Xen Boot Error post Rebuild

Ray Joseph
I was wrong again.  I did install Xen 4.9.

I booted twice and both failed.  The third time I booted, it succeeded. No changes were made to anything.

Ray

On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Ray Joseph <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dario Faggioli-2
On Sun, 2017-06-04 at 02:11 -0500, Ray Joseph wrote:
> I was wrong again.  I did install Xen 4.9.
>
> I booted twice and both failed.  The third time I booted, it
> succeeded. No changes were made to anything.

This is all very strange... Something seems to be up, but it's hard to
tell what.

When, as you say, the "boot fails" or "locks up", what we need to see,
in order to help you diagnose and solve the problem, is the actual
error showing on screen when that happens.

Actually, what would really help is the full boot log which needs
something like a serial console to be captured:
https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Serial_Console

Dario

Re: Xen Boot Error post Rebuild

Ray Joseph
Dario,

Thank you.  Xen booted up this morning.  I tried many times and it failed, then, twice in a row it succeeded.

What log can I pull that will help understand this and where/how can I post it?

To address your question on "locks up":  When the boot fails, a message is repeated sent to the console -

Jun  2 12:48:23 MyComp kernel: [   12.192095] [drm:gen8_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* Fault errors on pipe A
Jun  2 12:48:23 MyComp kernel: [   12.192095] : 0x00000100

This repeats rapidly, filling up the screen and rolling.  I can not break it other than turning off the power.  Prior to this, there is another message:

Jun  2 12:48:23 MyComp kernel: [   11.072093] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:03.0: bound 0000:00:02.0 (ops i915_audio_component_bind_ops [i915])

This addresses the Intel [i915].  When I lspci, it reports an Intel 5500 HD graphics controller.  The i915 is a graphics chip.  i915 is not addressed in the PCI report.

Additionally, I see syslogs in /var/log.  There is one with yesterday's date, and 4 others sequenced back to June 3.  I also copied some from before that, they seemed to show a failed boot as the last lines were 'funny'.

Please suggest what would be good to post, and where, and if any security issues.

Ray