Xen won't boot after connecting to EMC san

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Xen won't boot after connecting to EMC san

John S Little
Hi all,

I've installed Xen 3 from Mercurial.  The Xen3 kernel boots ok finding all
of the necessary devices until I plug in the fibre connection to the san.
When I do that it fails just after finding sdc (the san drive) with the
message:

can't find sda3 (this is the / partition)
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

I'm using a SLES 9 sp 2 box.  My menu.lst is:

title Xen 3.0 / XenLinux 2.6
        kernel (hd0,0)/xen-3.0.gz console=vga dom0_mem=262144
        module (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.6-xen selinux=0 root=/dev/sda3
console=tty0
        module (hd0,0)/initrd-xen

Any idea why adding the san drive (sdc) would cause it to not be able to
find sda3 (the / drive)?

Thanks for any ideas, insights and suggestions.

John Little
Hendricks Regional Health IS Department
317-718-4752
[hidden email]
http://www.hendrickshospital.org

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Xen won't boot after connecting to EMC san

Dirk H. Schulz-2
John S Little schrieb:

>Hi all,
>
>I've installed Xen 3 from Mercurial.  The Xen3 kernel boots ok finding all
>of the necessary devices until I plug in the fibre connection to the san.
>When I do that it fails just after finding sdc (the san drive) with the
>message:
>
>can't find sda3 (this is the / partition)
>/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
>
>I'm using a SLES 9 sp 2 box.  My menu.lst is:
>
>title Xen 3.0 / XenLinux 2.6
>        kernel (hd0,0)/xen-3.0.gz console=vga dom0_mem=262144
>        module (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.6-xen selinux=0 root=/dev/sda3
>console=tty0
>        module (hd0,0)/initrd-xen
>
>Any idea why adding the san drive (sdc) would cause it to not be able to
>find sda3 (the / drive)?
>  
>
To me that sounds like a SAN specific question/problem. Maybe your SCSI
IDs (virtual and real) are overlapping?

Dirk

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Xen won't boot after connecting to EMC san

John S Little
Dirk

"Dirk H. Schulz" <[hidden email]> wrote on 01/11/2006 02:22:02
AM:

> John S Little schrieb:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I've installed Xen 3 from Mercurial.  The Xen3 kernel boots ok finding
all
> >of the necessary devices until I plug in the fibre connection to the
san.
> >When I do that it fails just after finding sdc (the san drive) with the

> >message:
> >
> >can't find sda3 (this is the / partition)
> >/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
> >
> >I'm using a SLES 9 sp 2 box.  My menu.lst is:
> >
> >title Xen 3.0 / XenLinux 2.6
> >        kernel (hd0,0)/xen-3.0.gz console=vga dom0_mem=262144
> >        module (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.6-xen selinux=0 root=/dev/sda3
> >console=tty0
> >        module (hd0,0)/initrd-xen
> >
> >Any idea why adding the san drive (sdc) would cause it to not be able
to
> >find sda3 (the / drive)?
> >
> >
> To me that sounds like a SAN specific question/problem. Maybe your SCSI
> IDs (virtual and real) are overlapping?

Since it only happens under Xen that makes it have something to do with
Xen not the san.  It is the boot process mechanics of what loads when.  In
my case I had the HBA driver compiled into the kernel statically which
made it load to early in the boot process-hence making the san drive
/dev/sda and pushing sdb down to sdc and so on.  After I compiled it in as
a module all is well.

Regards,
John

>
> Dirk


_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users