boot of domU questions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

boot of domU questions

Christoph Kaminski
Hi

it is planned to make pvh Domains bootable (not direkt boot)? If yes for
which version?
and is there already grub2 useable in a domU?

------
Greetz

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.xenproject.org/mailman/listinfo/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: boot of domU questions

Mark Pryor
You need a pvgrub2 kernel, built as in the above link.
Your domU kernel needs kernel-4.20+, unless you backport several patches from 4.20 into kernel-4.19.

From your other post, looks like you are on Debian Buster, which has kernel-4.19.
I've got this working (pvh2 support) in CentOS 7.6 using the kernel-ml (kernel-4.20) from elrepo.

Check out the libvirt team page here:
https://salsa.debian.org/libvirt-team/libvirt

PryMar56
Freenode IRC ##xen-packaging





On Friday, January 4, 2019, 8:28:35 AM PST, Christoph <[hidden email]> wrote:


Hi

it is planned to make pvh Domains bootable (not direkt boot)? If yes for
which version?
and is there already grub2 useable in a domU?

------
Greetz

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.xenproject.org/mailman/listinfo/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: boot of domU questions

andy smith-10
Hi Mark,

On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 06:31:42PM +0000, Mark Pryor wrote:
> I've got this working (pvh2 support) in CentOS 7.6 using the kernel-ml (kernel-4.20) from elrepo.

I thin I saw you mention on IRC that the boot up process is
massively slower with PVH compared to PV? Is that still the case and
has it been reported as a bug/regression if so?

(Thanks for all these notes, though!)

Cheers,
Andy

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.xenproject.org/mailman/listinfo/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: boot of domU questions

Christoph Kaminski
In reply to this post by Mark Pryor
Hi

my xen is the 4.10 from centos-virt projekt with kernel
4.9.127-32.el7.x86_64 in dom0. My domU's have all kernel 4.20 from
elrepo. So what I only need is to build the pvgrub2?
Or do I need kernel 4.20 in the dom0 to?

Am 2019-01-04 19:31, schrieb Mark Pryor:

> hello,
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2018-10/msg00192.html
>
> You need a pvgrub2 kernel, built as in the above link.
>
> Your domU kernel needs kernel-4.20+, unless you backport several
> patches from 4.20 into kernel-4.19.
>
> From your other post, looks like you are on Debian Buster, which has
> kernel-4.19.
> I've got this working (pvh2 support) in CentOS 7.6 using the kernel-ml
> (kernel-4.20) from elrepo.
>
> Check out the libvirt team page here:
> https://salsa.debian.org/libvirt-team/libvirt
>
> PryMar56
> Freenode IRC ##xen-packaging
>
>  On Friday, January 4, 2019, 8:28:35 AM PST, Christoph <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> it is planned to make pvh Domains bootable (not direkt boot)? If yes
> for
>
> which version?
>
> and is there already grub2 useable in a domU?
>
> ------
>
> Greetz
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> Xen-users mailing list
>
> [hidden email]
>
> https://lists.xenproject.org/mailman/listinfo/xen-users
> _______________________________________________
> Xen-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.xenproject.org/mailman/listinfo/xen-users

--
------
Greetz

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.xenproject.org/mailman/listinfo/xen-users