debian+xen: System fails to mount swap, mydql not starting

debian+xen: System fails to mount swap, mydql not starting

Badiane Ka
I have resolved my mysql problem it had to do with an
improperly configured host file.

My most pressing problem is why mounting swap fails in
all my domU's.

My disks are LVM based.
/dev/xen/www_swap for example it the (duh!) swap space
for the www domain and exported from the xen file as
disk = [ 'phy:xen/www,sda1,w' ,
'phy:xen/www_swap,sda2,w' ]

I created a single PV on /dev/hda5 and it's 16.77GB.
then in that I created a PV named xen within it and
subdivided it into 2 LV's for each of the 3 domU; one
for the main storage and one for swap.

So I formated the main storage area as XFS and ran
mkswap on the {domUname}_swap areas.

When I boot the domU it fails.

Since this is a test machine (Celeron 1.3GHz, 512MB,
20GB) I'm running some of the apps I'd like to run on
a  production Xen server.  This afternoon my load
average got to 3.+ and with no swap that machine was
dragging a bit.

I'd like to get past this little problem and move on
to ebtables and iptables and then configuring the apps
I'd like to run (vtiger, sql-ledger, hula, samba for
more than 6 domains).

So is anyone able to help me with this problem?

Badiane

Re: debian+xen: System fails to mount swap, mydql not starting

Ernst Bachmann
On Friday 14 October 2005 04:17, Badiane Ka wrote:
> My most pressing problem is why mounting swap fails in
> all my domU's.
>
> My disks are LVM based.
> /dev/xen/www_swap for example it the (duh!) swap space
> for the www domain and exported from the xen file as
> disk = [ 'phy:xen/www,sda1,w' ,
> 'phy:xen/www_swap,sda2,w' ]
..
> So I formated the main storage area as XFS and ran
> mkswap on the {domUname}_swap areas.
>
> When I boot the domU it fails.

did you try to "mkswap /dev/sda2" from inside the domU?

Would at least let us know if the xen blockdevice for sda2 fails or if your
xenU linux kernel fails to activate it... On that note: you did compile your
xenU kernels with swap support, right?

/Ernst