device naming - blkbak.<device> ????

Mike-3
Hi,

     I have three hosts dom0 all running, I think, same identical
version of ubuntu 16.04 and hosting a number of domUs.

     I notice that on two of the boxes, there are processes with names
like 'blkback.2.xvda2' and such. I use raw filesystem images and presume
these represent the loopback filesystem for each domu. On a third host,
seemingly identically configured with identical software and so forth, I
instead see processes with names like '4.xvda1-0'.

     Can anyone tell me what the naming significance is and what I could
possibly have different between these hosts that would make this that way?

Thank you.

MIke-

Re: device naming - blkbak.<device> ????

Sarah Newman
On 10/21/2017 04:13 PM, Mike wrote:

> Hi,
>

>     I have three hosts dom0 all running, I think, same identical version of ubuntu 16.04 and hosting a number of domUs.
>

>     I notice that on two of the boxes, there are processes with names like 'blkback.2.xvda2' and such. I use raw filesystem images and presume these
> represent the loopback filesystem for each domu. On a third host, seemingly identically configured with identical software and so forth, I instead see
> processes with names like '4.xvda1-0'.
>

>     Can anyone tell me what the naming significance is and what I could possibly have different between these hosts that would make this that way?

Have you checked the kernel version with uname -a?

This change was introduced in 4.9:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/?h=linux-4.9.y&id=fa3184b898717d696242241541b8cbcb65c5d497

Ubuntu Xenial LTS has a hardware enablement kernel that is the most recent version they support, currently 4.10
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/linux-image-generic-hwe-16.04 , as well as a kernel that is based off of the original release
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/linux-image-generic , which is 4.4.

--Sarah

On 10/21/2017 05:10 PM, Sarah Newman wrote:

> On 10/21/2017 04:13 PM, Mike wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>>      I have three hosts dom0 all running, I think, same identical version of ubuntu 16.04 and hosting a number of domUs.
>>

>>      I notice that on two of the boxes, there are processes with names like 'blkback.2.xvda2' and such. I use raw filesystem images and presume these
>> represent the loopback filesystem for each domu. On a third host, seemingly identically configured with identical software and so forth, I instead see
>> processes with names like '4.xvda1-0'.
>>

>>      Can anyone tell me what the naming significance is and what I could possibly have different between these hosts that would make this that way?
> Have you checked the kernel version with uname -a?
>
> This change was introduced in 4.9:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/?h=linux-4.9.y&id=fa3184b898717d696242241541b8cbcb65c5d497
>
> Ubuntu Xenial LTS has a hardware enablement kernel that is the most recent version they support, currently 4.10
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/linux-image-generic-hwe-16.04 , as well as a kernel that is based off of the original release
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/linux-image-generic , which is 4.4.
>
> --Sarah

That is indeed the case. Thank you.