domU crash

Patrick O'Rourke
Apologies if this is a known issue (I scanned the archive / bugzilla and
did not see it).

Anyway, I upated from the today's src tarball and did a make world /
install.  Upon booting a domU I got the following crash:

> Bringing up loopback interface:  network-functions: line 137: cd: /var/run/netreport: No such file or directory
> [  OK  ]
> Bringing up interface eth0:
> Determining IP information for eth0...Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address cc3de022
>  printing eip:
> *pde = ma 00000000 pa 55555000
> Oops: 0000 [#1]
> PREEMPT SMP

I compared the domU .config with my previous working version from 8/11
and noticed that CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_GRANT_{TX,RX} options are now turned
on (the only domU config changes).  So I rebuilt the domU and it booted
fine, network came up, etc.

I also noticed that running an install from with the domU directory
places the domU kernel in /boot/boot:

> [root@laurel linux-2.6.12-xenU]# make ARCH=xen install
>   CHK     include/linux/version.h
> make[1]: `arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s' is up to date.
>   CHK     include/asm-xen/asm_offsets.h
>   CHK     include/linux/compile.h
>   CHK     usr/initramfs_list
> mkdir -p /boot/boot
> ln -f -s vmlinuz-2.6.12-xenU /boot/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-xenU
> rm -f /boot/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-xenU
> install -m0644 vmlinuz /boot/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-xenU
> install -m0644 vmlinux /boot/boot/vmlinux-syms-2.6.12-xenU
> install -m0664 .config /boot/boot/config-2.6.12-xenU
> install -m0664 System.map /boot/boot/System.map-2.6.12-xenU

Pat

--
Patrick O'Rourke

Re: domU crash

Patrick O'Rourke
Patrick O'Rourke wrote:

> I compared the domU .config with my previous working version from 8/11
> and noticed that CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_GRANT_{TX,RX} options are now turned
> on (the only domU config changes).  So I rebuilt the domU and it booted
> fine, network came up, etc.

Just to follow up, the reason is for the crash was that I had built my
dom0 kernel with an older config (one I've been using for this machine)
and as a result the dom0 kernel was still being built with these options
off.  Once I enabled the options in both dom0 and domU, the issue went away.

Pat

--
Patrick O'Rourke