domU's with large storage needs

Bill Kelly
Hi,

I'm wondering how folks configure disk space for domU's with
large storage needs.  I'm just reading about LVM.  But can a
domU run in a partition?  Or does it always run out of a .img
file?

If my domU needed 50GB disk space, would I need to make a
50GB .img file?  Are there other approaches?

Thanks,

Bill

Re: domU's with large storage needs

Rod-8
> But can a domU run in a partition?

I run 2.0.7 and run dom0 off a reiser partition and two domUs off
separate partitions (both ext3) (*). I have grub installed in all the
paritions and each system has its own swap space. I need to look
at the documentation to see whether I can just use one swap space
hierarchy between all the systems... heck, I need to look at the
documentation properly to see what I can play with (I'm coming from a
z/VM environment).

Rod

(*) Strange setup's due to a strange box that hangs on the more recent
frankenkernels from things like OSS/SUSE 10 but luckily seems to run
the Xen 2.0.7 setup well enough (having switched a bunch of things like
acpi & dma off which I have to do anyway on the normal Linux boot).

Re: domU's with large storage needs

Toens Bueker
Bill Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm wondering how folks configure disk space for domU's with
> large storage needs.  I'm just reading about LVM.  But can a
> domU run in a partition?  Or does it always run out of a .img
> file?

The docs say (somewhere) that you can use pretty much
every block device as a device for your domUs storage (as
well as image files, of course).

LVM is used very often in order to virtualize various
"storage sources" like network block devices,
ata-over-ethernet devices, harddisks, raid-devices, etc.

> If my domU needed 50GB disk space, would I need to make a
> 50GB .img file?  Are there other approaches?

A logical volume would be my first choice (for flexibility
reasons).

by
Töns
--