install other OS to unprivileged domain

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

install other OS to unprivileged domain

Shu Hung (Koala)
Dear all,

I have set up one unprivileged Domain-1 with help of FedoraQuickStart and some help from you.
Now I want to install some other OS to Domain-2.

How can I install a different OS (say Redhat 7.3) onto a unprivileged domain?
Do I have to copy all files from an existed installation to an image file?

Thanks,
Koala

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: install other OS to unprivileged domain

Dirk H. Schulz-2
Shu Hung (Koala) schrieb:

>Dear all,
>
>I have set up one unprivileged Domain-1 with help of FedoraQuickStart and
>some help from you.
>Now I want to install some other OS to Domain-2.
>
>How can I install a different OS (say Redhat 7.3) onto a unprivileged
>domain?
>Do I have to copy all files from an existed installation to an image file?
>  
>

That is one way to do it.

The other ways depend on the distro you want to install. For Debian
there is debootstrap, e.g.

Dirk

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: install other OS to unprivileged domain

Shu Hung (Koala)
2005/11/9, Dirk H. Schulz <[hidden email]>:
Shu Hung (Koala) schrieb:

That is one way to do it.

The other ways depend on the distro you want to install. For Debian
there is debootstrap, e.g.

Dirk

Thanks for information. ^^

Can I use debootstrap to install Debian on my existing Xen (using Fedora Core 4 as privilege domain)? How can I do so?

Koala

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: install other OS to unprivileged domain

Francois Visconte-2
Shu Hung (Koala) wrote:

> 2005/11/9, Dirk H. Schulz <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Shu Hung (Koala) schrieb:
>
>     That is one way to do it.
>
>     The other ways depend on the distro you want to install. For Debian
>     there is debootstrap, e.g.
>
>     Dirk
>
>
> Thanks for information. ^^
>
> Can I use debootstrap to install Debian on my existing Xen (using
> Fedora Core 4 as privilege domain)? How can I do so?
>
> Koala
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>Xen-users mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
>
I have packaged dpkg and debootstrap for that purpose on FC4.
You can trie the following rpm. Let me know if it don't work well.

http://fv.kh3.org/tmp/dpkg-1.13.11-2.src.rpm
http://fv.kh3.org/tmp/debootstrap-0.3.1.7-2.src.rpm



_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RES: install other OS to unprivileged domain

Felipe Franciosi
I have tried to do that using FC4 for Dom0 and Sarge for DomU, but I was
unsuccessful while booting the Sarge (domU).

At first, I tried to use the kernel from people.redhat.com/~riel, which was
the only package for FC4 that successfully booted my hardware as dom0. Then
I've copied an existing Sarge installation and the boot of the DomU was
unsuccessful.

After that, I've downloaded xen-unstable and recompiled the kernel for the
domU (keeping riel's code for xen and dom0), and there was made complete
chaos: the domU wouldn’t even start to boot. :-)

If you manage to get this working, please drop me a line on how you did it.

Thanks

--
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
 Felipe Franciosi                      +55-51-91230557
 CPAD/HP/PUCRS – Centro de Pesquisa em Alto Desempenho
 http://www.cpad.pucrs.br/          [hidden email]
 Porto Alegre, RS - Brazil
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

-----Mensagem original-----
De: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] Em nome de François Visconte
Enviada em: quarta-feira, 9 de novembro de 2005 06:36
Para: [hidden email]
Cc: Dirk H. Schulz; [hidden email]
Assunto: Re: [Xen-users] install other OS to unprivileged domain

Shu Hung (Koala) wrote:

> 2005/11/9, Dirk H. Schulz <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Shu Hung (Koala) schrieb:
>
>     That is one way to do it.
>
>     The other ways depend on the distro you want to install. For Debian
>     there is debootstrap, e.g.
>
>     Dirk
>
>
> Thanks for information. ^^
>
> Can I use debootstrap to install Debian on my existing Xen (using
> Fedora Core 4 as privilege domain)? How can I do so?
>
> Koala
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>Xen-users mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
>
I have packaged dpkg and debootstrap for that purpose on FC4.
You can trie the following rpm. Let me know if it don't work well.

http://fv.kh3.org/tmp/dpkg-1.13.11-2.src.rpm
http://fv.kh3.org/tmp/debootstrap-0.3.1.7-2.src.rpm



_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users


_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: install other OS to unprivileged domain

Shu Hung (Koala)
In reply to this post by Francois Visconte-2
Hello,

Seems I failed compiling dpkg under gcc4 (come with fc4)
Any idea on how to get it work?

Koala Yeung

2005/11/9, François Visconte <[hidden email]>:
Shu Hung (Koala) wrote:

> 2005/11/9, Dirk H. Schulz < [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Shu Hung (Koala) schrieb:
>

>     That is one way to do it.
>
>     The other ways depend on the distro you want to install. For Debian
>     there is debootstrap, e.g.
>
>     Dirk
>
>
> Thanks for information. ^^
>
> Can I use debootstrap to install Debian on my existing Xen (using
> Fedora Core 4 as privilege domain)? How can I do so?
>
> Koala
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>Xen-users mailing list
>[hidden email]
> http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
>
I have packaged dpkg and debootstrap for that purpose on FC4.
You can trie the following rpm. Let me know if it don't work well.

http://fv.kh3.org/tmp/dpkg-1.13.11-2.src.rpm
http://fv.kh3.org/tmp/debootstrap-0.3.1.7-2.src.rpm





--
Technical Support, DigitalOne Limited
Tel: 8100-2616 / 2545-1383   Fax: 2815-0593
_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: install other OS to unprivileged domain

Francois Visconte-2
Hello,

# cd /tmp && wget http://fv.kh3.org/tmp/dpkg-1.13.11-2.src.rpm
# yum install autoconf compat-gcc-32 gcc gettext-devel automake
# rpbuild --rebuild dpkg-1.13.11-2.src.rpm
# rpm -ivh dpkg-1.13.11-2.src.rpm
    1:dpkg                   ###########################################
[100%]

work well on my Base FC4 system freshly installed ....

Let me know error messages....

For your kernel problem, few month agos, Gino Ledesma sent me his spec
for xen stable release on CentOS.
I adapted it for FC4.
Actualy we use it on a production server and it seem to work well....
Have a look at it and send me some feedback....
The srpm will be downloadable soon....

--
Fv <[hidden email]>

Shu Hung (Koala) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Seems I failed compiling dpkg under gcc4 (come with fc4)
> Any idea on how to get it work?
>
> Koala Yeung
>
> 2005/11/9, François Visconte < [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Shu Hung (Koala) wrote:
>
>     > 2005/11/9, Dirk H. Schulz < [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>>:
>     >
>     >     Shu Hung (Koala) schrieb:
>     >
>     >     That is one way to do it.
>     >
>     >     The other ways depend on the distro you want to install. For
>     Debian
>     >     there is debootstrap, e.g.
>     >
>     >     Dirk
>     >
>     >
>     > Thanks for information. ^^
>     >
>     > Can I use debootstrap to install Debian on my existing Xen (using
>     > Fedora Core 4 as privilege domain)? How can I do so?
>     >
>     > Koala
>     >
>     >------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>     >
>     >_______________________________________________
>     >Xen-users mailing list
>     >[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
>     >
>     I have packaged dpkg and debootstrap for that purpose on FC4.
>     You can trie the following rpm. Let me know if it don't work well.
>
>     http://fv.kh3.org/tmp/dpkg-1.13.11-2.src.rpm
>     http://fv.kh3.org/tmp/debootstrap-0.3.1.7-2.src.rpm
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Technical Support, DigitalOne Limited
> Tel: 8100-2616 / 2545-1383   Fax: 2815-0593
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>Xen-users mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
>


%define oversee_version oversee.pl1
%define kversion 2.6.11
%define extraversion 12

%define xen_name xen
%define xen_version 2.0.7
%define grubby_xen_nosupport 1

Name: xen-kernel
Group: System Environment/Kernel
License: GPLv2
Version: %{kversion}
Release: %{extraversion}.%{oversee_version}
ExclusiveOS: Linux
Provides: kernel = %{version}
Provides: kernel-drm = 4.3.0
Provides: kernel-%{_target_cpu} = %{rpmversion}-%{release}
Summary: The Xen Linux Kernel (the core of the linux operating system)
BuildRoot: %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-buildroot
BuildPreReq: module-init-tools, patch >= 2.5.4, bash >= 2.03, sh-utils, tar
BuildPreReq: bzip2, findutils, gzip, m4, perl, make >= 3.78, gnupg
#, kernel-utils
BuildRequires: gcc >= 2.96-98, binutils >= 2.12, redhat-rpm-config >= 8.0.32.1, compat-gcc-32 >= 3.2.3
BuildConflicts: rhbuildsys(DiskFree) < 500Mb
Requires: xen >= %{xen_version}

Source0: <a href="http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/downloads/%">http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/downloads/%{xen_name}-%{xen_version}-src.tgz
Source1: ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-%{kversion}.tar.bz2

#Added build configs for the i86 Kernel (CentOS-4)
Source20: xen-kernel-%{kversion}-xen0.config
Source21: xen-kernel-%{kversion}-xenU.config

%description
The kernel package contains the Linux kernel (vmlinuz), the core of any
Linux operating system.  The kernel handles the basic functions
of the operating system:  memory allocation, process allocation, device
input and output, etc.

%define build_domU 1

%package domU
Summary: Non-privileged (domU) kernel for guest domains.
Group: System Environment/Kernel
Requires: xen-kernel

%description domU
Non-privileged (domU) kernel for guest domains. This kernel requires
the privileged (dom0) kernel to operate.

%prep

%setup -q -n xen-2.0
# Copy the kernel
cp %{SOURCE1} .

# Copy our patch sets
#cp %{PATCH0} patches/linux-%{kversion}

#%if %{build_domU}
#cp %{PATCH1} patches/linux-%{kversion}
#%endif

# Build kernels using our config
mkdir -p dist/install/boot
cp %{SOURCE20} dist/install/boot/config-%{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xen0

%if %{build_domU}
cp %{SOURCE21} dist/install/boot/config-%{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xenU
%endif

%build
make kernels

%install
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

cd linux-%{kversion}-xen0
make ARCH=xen INSTALL_PATH=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT INSTALL_MOD_PATH=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT install modules_install
%if %{grubby_xen_nosupport}
touch $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/boot/initrd-%{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xen0.img
%endif

%if %{build_domU}
cd ../linux-%{kversion}-xenU
make ARCH=xen INSTALL_PATH=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT INSTALL_MOD_PATH=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT install modules_install
# We want this built all the time since we'll never use grubby for xenU
touch $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/boot/initrd-%{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xenU.img
%endif

%clean
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

%files
%defattr(-,root,root)
/boot/*xen0*
/lib/modules/%{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xen0/*
%{_includedir}/xen/*

%files domU
%if %{build_domU}
%defattr(-,root,root)
/boot/*xenU*
/lib/modules/%{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xenU/*
%endif

%pre
/sbin/modprobe loop 2> /dev/null > /dev/null  || :
exit 0

%post
[ -x /usr/sbin/module_upgrade ] && /usr/sbin/module_upgrade

%if %{grubby_xen_nosupport}

# Make the initrd
[ -f /boot/initrd-%{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xen0.img ] && mv /boot/initrd-%{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xen0.img /boot/initrd-%{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xen0.img.rpmsave
mkinitrd --builtin=ata_piix --builtin=raid1 -f /boot/initrd-%{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xen0.img %{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xen0

# Update GRUB (no, LILO isn't supported anymore)
res=$(mount | grep -w "/boot")
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
    boot_prefix="/"
else
    boot_prefix="/boot"
fi

root_part=$(grep -v "^#" /etc/fstab | grep -w "/" | cut -d\  -f1)

cat << EOF >> /etc/grub.conf

title Xen %{xen_version} / Linux Kernel %{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xen0
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel ${boot_prefix}/xen.gz dom0_mem=262144 com1=115200,8n1
    module ${boot_prefix}/vmlinuz-%{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xen0 ro root=${root_part} console=tty0 console=ttyS0 max_loop=256
    module ${boot_prefix}/initrd-%{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xen0.img

EOF
%else
# We can't do this yet because grubby doesn't support Xen yet
[ -x /sbin/new-kernel-pkg ] && /sbin/new-kernel-pkg --package kernel --mkinitrd --depmod --install %{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xen0
%endif

%post domU
[ -f /boot/initrd-%{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xenU.img ] && mv /boot/initrd-%{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xenU.img /boot/initrd-%{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xenU.img.rpmsave
mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-%{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xenU.img %{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xenU

%preun
/sbin/modprobe loop 2> /dev/null > /dev/null  || :
[ -x /sbin/new-kernel-pkg ] && /sbin/new-kernel-pkg --rminitrd --rmmoddep --remove %{kversion}.%{extraversion}-xen0

%postun
cat << EOF

************************************************
* REMINDER: Please update your /boot/grub.conf *
* file and remove the XEN boot entries.        *
************************************************

EOF
%changelog
* Wed Sept 24 2005 François Visconte <[hidden email]
- Adapted for FC4

%changelog
* Wed Aug 12 2005 Gino Ledesma <[hidden email]> 2.6.12
- Xen Kernel based on xen 2.0.7
- Added grub config support
- Added initrd stuff to the filelist


_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: install other OS to unprivileged domain

Francois Visconte-2
In reply to this post by Shu Hung (Koala)

Ooops,
I forgot a little detail about dpkg rpm.
I have a dependency problem caused by some perl module intallation path
witch seem to be différent between FC4 and debian... thus, dpkg installation
may cause unsolvable dependancy problem...
The solution for now is to install dpkg with --nodeps switch....
I will have a look on this later...

(please use "reply all" or include my mail address in CC form when
answering my mail....)

--
fv <[hidden email]>

Shu Hung (Koala) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Seems I failed compiling dpkg under gcc4 (come with fc4)
> Any idea on how to get it work?
>
> Koala Yeung
>
> 2005/11/9, François Visconte < [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Shu Hung (Koala) wrote:
>
>     > 2005/11/9, Dirk H. Schulz < [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>>:
>     >
>     >     Shu Hung (Koala) schrieb:
>     >
>     >     That is one way to do it.
>     >
>     >     The other ways depend on the distro you want to install. For
>     Debian
>     >     there is debootstrap, e.g.
>     >
>     >     Dirk
>     >
>     >
>     > Thanks for information. ^^
>     >
>     > Can I use debootstrap to install Debian on my existing Xen (using
>     > Fedora Core 4 as privilege domain)? How can I do so?
>     >
>     > Koala
>     >
>     >------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>     >
>     >_______________________________________________
>     >Xen-users mailing list
>     >[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
>     >
>     I have packaged dpkg and debootstrap for that purpose on FC4.
>     You can trie the following rpm. Let me know if it don't work well.
>
>     http://fv.kh3.org/tmp/dpkg-1.13.11-2.src.rpm
>     http://fv.kh3.org/tmp/debootstrap-0.3.1.7-2.src.rpm
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Technical Support, DigitalOne Limited
> Tel: 8100-2616 / 2545-1383   Fax: 2815-0593
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>Xen-users mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
>


_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users