monitoring XEN server load

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

monitoring XEN server load

Christian Hertel
Hello,

I wonder if there is any possibility to show the load average of a whole
XEN server. Executing top in Dom0 or DomU only shows the load average of
the according domain but there seems to be no way to show the load of
the whole server.

How to check if a server is over load because the domains running on it
where frequented too much?

Did I miss something?

Any help appreciated.


Cheers,

--
Christian Hertel
Netzwerk-Sicherheit/Netzwerk-Applikationen

infoServe GmbH
Nell-Breuning-Allee 6
D-66115 Saarbruecken

T: (0681) 8 80 08 - 59
F: (0681) 8 80 08 - 33
www.infos.de
mailto:[hidden email]


_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: monitoring XEN server load

Petersson, Mats
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of
> Christian Hertel
> Sent: 14 October 2005 16:01
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Xen-users] monitoring XEN server load
>
> Hello,
>
> I wonder if there is any possibility to show the load average
> of a whole XEN server. Executing top in Dom0 or DomU only
> shows the load average of the according domain but there
> seems to be no way to show the load of the whole server.
>
> How to check if a server is over load because the domains
> running on it where frequented too much?

"xm top" should do what you want, I would think.

--
Mats

>
> Did I miss something?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Christian Hertel
> Netzwerk-Sicherheit/Netzwerk-Applikationen
>
> infoServe GmbH
> Nell-Breuning-Allee 6
> D-66115 Saarbruecken
>
> T: (0681) 8 80 08 - 59
> F: (0681) 8 80 08 - 33
> www.infos.de
> mailto:[hidden email]
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Xen-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
>
>


_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: monitoring XEN server load

Christian Hertel
Hello Mats,


> "xm top" should do what you want, I would think.

---
xm top
Error: Unknown command: top
Try '/usr/sbin/xm help' for more information.
---


Looks like it doesn't. I'm using xen-2.0.7-stable, perhaps the feature
you mentioned exists in versions >= 3 ?!


Cheers,

--
Christian Hertel
Netzwerk-Sicherheit/Netzwerk-Applikationen

infoServe GmbH
Nell-Breuning-Allee 6
D-66115 Saarbruecken

T: (0681) 8 80 08 - 59
F: (0681) 8 80 08 - 33
www.infos.de
mailto:[hidden email]



_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: monitoring XEN server load

Petersson, Mats
In reply to this post by Christian Hertel
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of
> Christian Hertel
> Sent: 14 October 2005 16:16
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: RE: [Xen-users] monitoring XEN server load
>
> Hello Mats,
>
>
> > "xm top" should do what you want, I would think.
>
> ---
> xm top
> Error: Unknown command: top
> Try '/usr/sbin/xm help' for more information.
> ---
>
>
> Looks like it doesn't. I'm using xen-2.0.7-stable, perhaps
> the feature you mentioned exists in versions >= 3 ?!

Oh, sorry. Yes, it's a Xen-3.0 command (apparently). I think there's a
synonymous command of "xentop", but that may also be a version >= 3
command...

--
Mats

>
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Christian Hertel
> Netzwerk-Sicherheit/Netzwerk-Applikationen
>
> infoServe GmbH
> Nell-Breuning-Allee 6
> D-66115 Saarbruecken
>
> T: (0681) 8 80 08 - 59
> F: (0681) 8 80 08 - 33
> www.infos.de
> mailto:[hidden email]


_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: monitoring XEN server load

Jeb Campbell
Petersson, Mats wrote:
>>Looks like it doesn't. I'm using xen-2.0.7-stable, perhaps
>>the feature you mentioned exists in versions >= 3 ?!

On 2.0.7 here, I use "xm list", and it gives the seconds of cpu time a
domain has used.  While it's not a ton of info, it is easy to see the
system "hogs".

--
Jeb Campbell
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: monitoring XEN server load

Gino LV. Ledesma
There's a package called vmtools for xen which claimed to report
useful stuff about load, but I could never get it to work. I don't
have the link handy with me at the moment.

I also use the xm list command, and then use a neat graphing package
(xenupdate.py, xengraph.py) -- not a precise way of monitoring but it
provides some perspective about load distribution.

On 10/14/05, Jeb Campbell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Petersson, Mats wrote:
> >>Looks like it doesn't. I'm using xen-2.0.7-stable, perhaps
> >>the feature you mentioned exists in versions >= 3 ?!
>
> On 2.0.7 here, I use "xm list", and it gives the seconds of cpu time a
> domain has used.  While it's not a ton of info, it is easy to see the
> system "hogs".
>
> --
> Jeb Campbell
> [hidden email]
>
> _______________________________________________
> Xen-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
>

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users