nested virtualization: who tried it?

Christoph Egger-2

Hi,

I would like to know who give nested virtualization a try so far and
with what results.

Christoph

--
---to satisfy European Law for business letters:
Advanced Micro Devices GmbH

Re: nested virtualization: who tried it?

jeroen groenewegen van der weyden
I would really really like to,  but your part takes care of the amd, I
only have intels here. If I whisper the intels guy name real gently
would that help:-)

jeroen

Op 12-5-2011 15:13, Christoph Egger schreef:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know who give nested virtualization a try so far and
> with what results.
>
> Christoph

Re: nested virtualization: who tried it?

skeatz

I'm new to the forum but would like to try nested virtualization. I have an AMD-based system at home & Intel-based systems at work.

Would appreciate if you could give me some pointers as to how I can start.

thanks,
Steven

On 06/24/11 12:09, skeatz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the forum but would like to try nested virtualization. I have an
> AMD-based system at home&  Intel-based systems at work.
>
> Would appreciate if you could give me some pointers as to how I can start.

1. Install a standard Xen setup.
2. Set up a HVM guest (must be either a Linux or NetBSD guest)
3. Configure the HVM guest as a Dom0
4. add nestedhvm=1 to your guest config file
5. Set up a HVM guest within your HVM guest
6. Have fun

If you encounter a problem that the Dom0 hangs at boot in step 3 then
disable the TSC Deadline Timer in libxc/xc_cpuid_x86.c

Christoph

--
---to satisfy European Law for business letters:
Advanced Micro Devices GmbH
Einsteinring 24, 85689 Dornach b. Muenchen
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Alberto Bozzo, Andrew Bowd
Sitz: Dornach, Gemeinde Aschheim, Landkreis Muenchen
Registergericht Muenchen, HRB Nr. 43632

Re: nested virtualization: who tried it?

skeatz
Hi Christoph,

Thanks for the info. Will try it out. Hope to be able to contribute to the forum.

brgds,
Steven