Quantcast

pci passthrough and Xenserver

Ritu kaur
Hi,

We are running Citrix Xenserver 5.5(dom0) and PV guests(domU). Since VT-d support is not required for PV guests has anyone tried pci passthrough with Citrix Xenserver? If yes what config file changes are required in domU and dom0? I looked at Citrix forums and xen.org/xen-users archives, not getting useful information from it. Inputs much appreciated.

Re: pci passthrough and Xenserver

dulloor
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/VTdHowTo

For passthrough (PVs as well), you have to hide the pci device from
Dom0 (section Binding Devices to pciback) and then use
"pci=['<device-id>']" option in guest config

-dulloor

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Ritu kaur <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are running Citrix Xenserver 5.5(dom0) and PV guests(domU). Since VT-d
> support is not required for PV guests has anyone tried pci passthrough with
> Citrix Xenserver? If yes what config file changes are required in domU and
> dom0? I looked at Citrix forums and xen.org/xen-users archives, not getting
> useful information from it. Inputs much appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Re: [Xen-users] pci passthrough and Xenserver

Ritu kaur

I did go through  vmops.ml and I really didn't get much information on what config file it is reading or what changes are needed. I looked at http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Assign_hardware_to_DomU_with_PCIBack_as_module from the link given by Dullor, not sure whether those changes suffice XCP for pci passthrough hence thought of checking. Any inputs?

Thanks

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 2:37 PM, James Troup <[hidden email]> wrote:
No PCI passthrough for XenServer AFAIK.
You need XCP for that and then it is still very experimental with NO documentation except what is in the code.
Line 483+ http://xenbits.xen.org/xapi/xen-api.hg?file/a8decf9d3bee/ocaml/xapi/vmops.ml

We are running Citrix Xenserver 5.5(dom0) and PV guests(domU). Since VT-d support is not required for PV guests has anyone tried pci passthrough with Citrix Xenserver? If yes what config file changes are required in domU and dom0? I looked at Citrix forums and xen.org/xen-users archives, not getting useful information from it. Inputs much appreciated.

Re: [Xen-users] pci passthrough and Xenserver

Ritu kaur
Hi,

I had additional questions(I re-read the Assign_hardware...), and I don't quite follow it completely. The config given is for dom0, it doesn't have any information as to what domU will get access to this pci device? Do I need to change config in domU as well, document doesn't say anything about it. Furthermore, in the document I see references to "xm pci-list-assignable-devices" cli's, however, XCP comes with xe tool-stack, does it come with similar pci commands? I am yet to install XCP, but wanted to check.

Thanks

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Ritu kaur <ritu.kaur.us@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Re: Re: [Xen-users] pci passthrough and Xenserver

Ian Campbell-10
Please don't cross-post.

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 01:29 +0000, Ritu kaur wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had additional questions(I re-read the Assign_hardware...), and I
> don't quite follow it completely. The config given is for dom0, it
> doesn't have any information as to what domU will get access to this
> pci device? Do I need to change config in domU as well, document
> doesn't say anything about it. Furthermore, in the document I see
> references to "xm pci-list-assignable-devices" cli's, however, XCP
> comes with xe tool-stack, does it come with similar pci commands? I am
> yet to install XCP, but wanted to check.

With XenAPI you can set the VM.other-config:pci key to a comma separated
bus-device-function as seen in domain 0. For example to pass device
0000:07:10.0 through to a guest try:

xe vm-param-set uuid=<uuid> other-config:pci=0000:07:10.0

You may need to manually load the pciback module first.

Ian.

> Thanks
>

> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Ritu kaur <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>         Hi,
>
>         I did go through  vmops.ml and I really didn't get much
>         information on what config file it is reading or what changes
>         are needed. I looked at
>         http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Assign_hardware_to_DomU_with_PCIBack_as_module from the link given by Dullor, not sure whether those changes suffice XCP for pci passthrough hence thought of checking. Any inputs?
>
>         Thanks
>
>         On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 2:37 PM, James Troup
>         <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>                 No PCI passthrough for XenServer AFAIK.
>                 You need XCP for that and then it is still very
>                 experimental with NO documentation except what is in
>                 the code.
>                 Line 483+
>                 http://xenbits.xen.org/xapi/xen-api.hg?file/a8decf9d3bee/ocaml/xapi/vmops.ml

Hi Ian,

Thank for the inputs, will try this out.

Thanks