qdisk and debian

James Harper
In what version of xen and qemu did qdisk get introduced?

Debian "Jessie" packages xen 4.3.0 and qemu 1.7.0, but seems to lack any support for qdisk as a block backend.

Thanks

James

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

Re: qdisk and debian

Fantu
I started to use qdisk with xen from qemu 1.3 and I already used it also with qemu 1.7 without found problem.
I had also tested qemu debian package with xen compiled from source since qemu 1.4, I not tested the latest from debian package but should be working, qemu debian package have also some features missed on upstream qemu compiled from xen (for example spice and usbredirection).
Probably your problem can be related to bad hvm domUs support on xen debian package:

If your problem is another please post details and I'll try to help you.

Re: qdisk and debian

James Harper

> I started to use qdisk with xen from qemu 1.3 and I already used it also with
> qemu 1.7 without found problem.
> I had also tested qemu debian package with xen compiled from source since
> qemu 1.4, I not tested the latest from debian package but should be working,
> qemu debian package have also some features missed on upstream qemu
> compiled
> from xen (for example spice and usbredirection).
> Probably your problem can be related to bad hvm domUs support on xen
> debian
> package:
>
> If your problem is another please post details and I'll try to help you.

Thanks I think I figured it out. I had to add backendtype=qdisk onto the end. The instructions at http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/4.3-testing/misc/xl-disk-configuration.txt didn't work for the pure "<key>=<value>" type specification, at least under debian. I had to tack 'backendtype=qdisk' to the end of a fixed position parameter style configuration.

With qdisk enabled under a current Jessie install, qemu-system-i386 was sitting on a steady 12.3% cpu though, even though the domu should have been idle. As soon as I ran an strace against the process it dropped to idle%, so I don't know what was going on... maybe the domu really was just busy.

Rebuilding debian qemu package with rbd support now... hopefully that works without any fuss!

Thanks again!

James

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

Re: qdisk and debian

Fantu
Il 20/12/2013 11:25, James Harper ha scritto:

>> I started to use qdisk with xen from qemu 1.3 and I already used it also with
>> qemu 1.7 without found problem.
>> I had also tested qemu debian package with xen compiled from source since
>> qemu 1.4, I not tested the latest from debian package but should be working,
>> qemu debian package have also some features missed on upstream qemu
>> compiled
>> from xen (for example spice and usbredirection).
>> Probably your problem can be related to bad hvm domUs support on xen
>> debian
>> package:
>>
>> If your problem is another please post details and I'll try to help you.
> Thanks I think I figured it out. I had to add backendtype=qdisk onto the end. The instructions at http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/4.3-testing/misc/xl-disk-configuration.txt didn't work for the pure "<key>=<value>" type specification, at least under debian. I had to tack 'backendtype=qdisk' to the end of a fixed position parameter style configuration.
>
> With qdisk enabled under a current Jessie install, qemu-system-i386 was sitting on a steady 12.3% cpu though, even though the domu should have been idle. As soon as I ran an strace against the process it dropped to idle%, so I don't know what was going on... maybe the domu really was just busy.
>
> Rebuilding debian qemu package with rbd support now... hopefully that works without any fuss!
If your problem is only about rbd support there is a bug open on debian
about it:
I not tested it for now but with fast watch on bugtracker seems there
was a regression with build and the qemu maintainer removed the rbd
support, if with your tested you saw that regression is solved can be
useful reply about this.

> Thanks again!
>
> James
>

> -----
> Nessun virus nel messaggio.
> Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com
> Versione: 2014.0.4259 / Database dei virus: 3658/6935 -  Data di rilascio: 19/12/2013

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: qdisk and debian

James Harper

> If your problem is only about rbd support there is a bug open on debian
> about it:
> I not tested it for now but with fast watch on bugtracker seems there
> was a regression with build and the qemu maintainer removed the rbd
> support, if with your tested you saw that regression is solved can be
> useful reply about this.

I just turned off build of qemu-user (failed to link rbd static) and I now have a qemu that should work with rbd. But xen doesn't seem to allow me to select rbd. How should I express a rbd configuration in disk= ? Or do I now need to rebuild xen with rbd support?

Thanks

James

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

Re: qdisk and debian

Wei Liu-2
On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 10:26:46PM +0000, James Harper wrote:

> > If your problem is only about rbd support there is a bug open on debian
> > about it:
> > I not tested it for now but with fast watch on bugtracker seems there
> > was a regression with build and the qemu maintainer removed the rbd
> > support, if with your tested you saw that regression is solved can be
> > useful reply about this.
> >

> I just turned off build of qemu-user (failed to link rbd static) and I now have a qemu that should work with rbd. But xen doesn't seem to allow me to select rbd. How should I express a rbd configuration in disk= ? Or do I now need to rebuild xen with rbd support?

A quicker way to avoid fiddling with xl config parser is to use
device_model_args in your config file to attach arbitrary arguments to
QEMU.

Wei.

> Thanks
>
> James

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

Re: qdisk and debian

James Harper

> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 10:26:46PM +0000, James Harper wrote:
> > >
> > > If your problem is only about rbd support there is a bug open on debian
> > > about it:
> > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=689239
> > > I not tested it for now but with fast watch on bugtracker seems there
> > > was a regression with build and the qemu maintainer removed the rbd
> > > support, if with your tested you saw that regression is solved can be
> > > useful reply about this.
> > >

> > I just turned off build of qemu-user (failed to link rbd static) and I now have
> a qemu that should work with rbd. But xen doesn't seem to allow me to
> select rbd. How should I express a rbd configuration in disk= ? Or do I now
> need to rebuild xen with rbd support?
> >

> A quicker way to avoid fiddling with xl config parser is to use
> device_model_args in your config file to attach arbitrary arguments to
> QEMU.

Just omitting the format altogether worked for me in the end.

James

http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

Re: qdisk and debian

James Harper