restore a backup on other machines

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

restore a backup on other machines

chris2000
Hi all,

I have installed domU on a volume with LVM2.
I'd like to be able to restore the backup onto other machines via the network.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.
Chris.

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: restore a backup on other machines

chris2000
Sorry, I meant to say:
I would like to make a backup and then restore is onto other machines
via the network.

> Any suggestions please?
>
> Thanks.
> Chris.


On 1/12/06, Chris Fanning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have installed domU on a volume with LVM2.
> I'd like to be able to restore the backup onto other machines via the network.
>
> Any suggestions please?
>
> Thanks.
> Chris.
>

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: restore a backup on other machines

Michael Mey
In reply to this post by chris2000
On Thursday 12 January 2006 16:30, Chris Fanning wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have installed domU on a volume with LVM2.
> I'd like to be able to restore the backup onto other machines via the
> network.
>
> Any suggestions please?
You could export your lvm2 block device with NBD, ENBD or GNBD, import it from
another machine an copy it on a local block device.

Michael
--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mey                                 
Thinking Objects Software GmbH    |   mailto: [hidden email]
Lilienthalstrasse 2/1                         |   phone: +49 711 88770-147
70825 Stuttgart-Korntal, Germany  |   fax: +49 711 88770-449
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: restore a backup on other machines

Eric Peterson-2
In reply to this post by chris2000
On 1/12/06, Chris Fanning <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry, I meant to say:
I would like to make a backup and then restore is onto other machines
via the network.

If you're using partitions rather than image files, you should only need to make a copy of all the files on that partition and restore the files to a parition on the destination machine.  I usually just shutdown the VM that I want to copy, mount the partition for that domU, and then copy the files where ever and however I want.  The procedure would be similar for any backup program as well.  Just make a backup of everything and then restore it to the new location.

If you're using image files, then just copy the image file.

Also, I'm assuming you would be restoring it to another Xen machine with a similar installation of Xen.

If this is the wrong approach or there is a better way, please let me know, but this has worked well for me so far.

-Eric

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: restore a backup on other machines

chris2000
Hi Eric,

> parition on the destination machine.  I usually just shutdown the VM that I
> want to copy, mount the partition for that domU, and then copy the files
> where ever and however I want.
I was thinking along those lines.

>  If you're using image files, then just copy the image file.
That sounds interesting. Maybe I could use rsync to keep image files up to date.
Where can I learn more about image files? Got a link?
Do you link that would be comparable to a LVM snapshot?

>
>  Also, I'm assuming you would be restoring it to another Xen machine with a
> similar installation of Xen.
yes.

Thanks
Chris.

On 1/12/06, Eric Peterson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/12/06, Chris Fanning <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Sorry, I meant to say:
> > I would like to make a backup and then restore is onto other machines
> > via the network.
> >
>
>  If you're using partitions rather than image files, you should only need to
> make a copy of all the files on that partition and restore the files to a
> parition on the destination machine.  I usually just shutdown the VM that I
> want to copy, mount the partition for that domU, and then copy the files
> where ever and however I want.  The procedure would be similar for any
> backup program as well.  Just make a backup of everything and then restore
> it to the new location.
>
>  If you're using image files, then just copy the image file.
>
>  Also, I'm assuming you would be restoring it to another Xen machine with a
> similar installation of Xen.
>
>  If this is the wrong approach or there is a better way, please let me know,
> but this has worked well for me so far.
>
>  -Eric
>

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: restore a backup on other machines

Eric Peterson-2
Hi Chris,

On 1/13/06, Chris Fanning <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  If you're using image files, then just copy the image file.
That sounds interesting. Maybe I could use rsync to keep image files up to date.
Where can I learn more about image files? Got a link?
Do you link that would be comparable to a LVM snapshot?

The image file solution is well documented and can be found in most of the tutorials like this one.

In my experience the image file solution was slower than using LVM supposedly due to loopback filesystems using more memory.

The image solution would not really be comparable to an LVM snapshot.  This is because a snapshot can take place while the system is online.  With the image file you SHOULD shutdown the domU or you would risk losing open files or possibly a currupt image file. (I haven't tried this myself, but I'm guessing the results would be bad)

If you search through the mailing list archives, there are quite a few posts about backups and LVM.  Snapshots sound pretty unstable right now so you may want to look for another solution.

-Eric


_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users