silly diff question

Andrew Thompson-3
I'd like to submit a few updates to some documentation. I've never done
this before, so I'm not sure how to call diff to get an acceptable patch.

Do the name names of my pristine and tweaked folders make any difference?

I have looked at a few PATCH emails and think that this is the command I
should use: diff -Nru oldfolder newfolder

Is that acceptable, or should I use something else?

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/

andrewkt.vcf (137 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: silly diff question

Nguyen Anh Quynh
On 5/30/05, Andrew Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd like to submit a few updates to some documentation. I've never done
> this before, so I'm not sure how to call diff to get an acceptable patch.
>
> Do the name names of my pristine and tweaked folders make any difference?
>
> I have looked at a few PATCH emails and think that this is the command I
> should use: diff -Nru oldfolder newfolder

i usually use diff like this: diff -Nurp <origine> <modified>

it is better to run this command from outside of the top directory of
xen, for example: diff -Nurp xen-2.0.6.org xen-2.0.6.modified >
mypatch

the you will want to submit the "mypatch" file just generated to the list.

see also -X and -x option of diff. these option will be helpful to you.

good luck,
aq