some beginnerkernel questions

Mathias Diehl

Hi List,

I run XEN 2 since some month (unfortunatly installed by a fiend of mine). Recently I bought some new hardware and tried to get XEN 3 running on a Debian Sarge 3.1.

I installed via the Debian installer a RAID 1 with LVM. even though there are some devfs_mk_dir errors systems comes up.

Now I installed XEN but system doe not boot as the boot device seems not to be recocnized by the kernel. I found the message already dealt with in some threads...

Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floopy.
VFS: Insert root floopy and press ENTER

So I nw know that I have to recompile the XEN kernel according to my system.

Two questions:

I never kompiled a kernel before - so is there maybe a way to keep my Debian confirguration that is working and just add this to the XEN stuff?

Regarding the devfs_mk-dir issue I found the solution to upgrade to kernel 2.6.13 or above. Is it corrct tat XEN 3 is still using 2.6.12 and as I have to recompile the kernel in any case - how can I do this with the latest stable version 2.6.14.4?

Any help woudl be appreciated

Mathias

Re: some beginnerkernel questions

Sanjay Upadhyay
Hi,
You may not need to recompile the kernel, however a very good link is
here http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_xen_setup_debian_ubuntu

Another point, either referring a initrd image in the grub does cause
a problem, try to remove that from there. Hope that would correct the
issue..
I have the following given under the /boot/grub/menu.1st..

title Xen 3.0.0
    kernel /boot/xen-2.0.gz dom0_mem=25600 console=vga
    module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen0 root=/dev/hdb1 ro console=tty0

I had a entry like this (which i removed and the problem was solved)
    module /boot/initrd.img

regards
On 12/17/05, md <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I run XEN 2 since some month (unfortunatly installed by a fiend of mine).
> Recently I bought some new hardware and tried to get XEN 3 running on a
> Debian Sarge 3.1.
>
> I installed via the Debian installer a RAID 1 with LVM. even though there
> are some devfs_mk_dir errors systems comes up.
>
> Now I installed XEN but system doe not boot as the boot device seems not to
> be recocnized by the kernel. I found the message already dealt with in some
> threads...
>
> Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
> VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floopy.
> VFS: Insert root floopy and press ENTER
>
> So I nw know that I have to recompile the XEN kernel according to my system.
>
> Two questions:
>
> I never kompiled a kernel before - so is there maybe a way to keep my Debian
> confirguration that is working and just add this to the XEN stuff?
>
> Regarding the devfs_mk-dir issue I found the solution to upgrade to kernel
> 2.6.13 or above. Is it corrct tat XEN 3 is still using 2.6.12 and as I have
> to recompile the kernel in any case - how can I do this with the latest
> stable version 2.6.14.4?
>
> Any help woudl be appreciated
>
> Mathias

AW: some beginnerkernel questions

Mathias Diehl

I followed exactly the howto you mentioned - bu however I fail

here's my menu.lst and fstab

title   Xen 3.0.0 / XenLinux 2.6.12.6-xen0
root    (hd0,0)
kernel  /xen.gz dom0_mem=65536
module  /vmlinuz-2.6-xen0 root=/dev/mapper/vg00-root ro console=tty0

#
proc                  /proc               proc    defaults                0       0
/dev/mapper/vg00-root /                 ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/md0          /boot               ext3    defaults                0       2
/dev/mapper/vg00-data /data          ext3    defaults                0       2
/dev/mapper/vg00-swap none         swap   sw                       0       0
/dev/hdd              /media/cdrom0 iso9660 ro,user,noauto     0       0
~

AFAIK there should not be any problem to boot from RAID1

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
You may not need to recompile the kernel, however a very good link is
here http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_xen_setup_debian_ubuntu

Another point, either referring a initrd image in the grub does cause
a problem, try to remove that from there. Hope that would correct the
issue..
I have the following given under the /boot/grub/menu.1st..

title Xen 3.0.0
    kernel /boot/xen-2.0.gz dom0_mem=25600 console=vga
    module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen0 root=/dev/hdb1 ro console=tty0

I had a entry like this (which i removed and the problem was solved)
    module /boot/initrd.img

regards
On 12/17/05, md <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I run XEN 2 since some month (unfortunatly installed by a fiend of mine).
> Recently I bought some new hardware and tried to get XEN 3 running on a
> Debian Sarge 3.1.
>
> I installed via the Debian installer a RAID 1 with LVM. even though there
> are some devfs_mk_dir errors systems comes up.
>
> Now I installed XEN but system doe not boot as the boot device seems not to
> be recocnized by the kernel. I found the message already dealt with in some
> threads...
>
> Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
> VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floopy.
> VFS: Insert root floopy and press ENTER
>
> So I nw know that I have to recompile the XEN kernel according to my system.
>
> Two questions:
>
> I never kompiled a kernel before - so is there maybe a way to keep my Debian
> confirguration that is working and just add this to the XEN stuff?
>
> Regarding the devfs_mk-dir issue I found the solution to upgrade to kernel
> 2.6.13 or above. Is it corrct tat XEN 3 is still using 2.6.12 and as I have
> to recompile the kernel in any case - how can I do this with the latest
> stable version 2.6.14.4?
>
> Any help woudl be appreciated
>
> Mathias
> http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

Re: AW: some beginnerkernel questions

Anthony Liguori
md wrote:

>I followed exactly the howto you mentioned - bu however I fail
>
>here's my menu.lst and fstab
>

>title   Xen 3.0.0 / XenLinux 2.6.12.6-xen0
>root    (hd0,0)
>kernel  /xen.gz dom0_mem=65536
>module  /vmlinuz-2.6-xen0 root=/dev/mapper/vg00-root ro console=tty0

root=/dev/mapp/vg00-root is your problem.

LVM volumes don't exist when you first boot.  The LVM userspace software
has to run and tell the kernel about it.

There are two ways to get around this: 1) you can not do LVM root 2) you
can use an initrd.

Try creating an initrd with mkinitrd.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori