Quantcast

start up script for "xentop"

Gautam

Hi All,

i want to add the automatic live migration features in XEN.
i am facing one issue regarding xentop command.
Is it possible to run the xentop command in normaluser mode or withou supplying the password ?
--
Regards
Gautam

Re: start up script for "xentop"

Florian Heigl
Hi,

2011/2/11 Gautam <[hidden email]>:
> i want to add the automatic live migration features in XEN.
> i am facing one issue regarding xentop command.
> Is it possible to run the xentop command in normaluser mode or withou
> supplying the password ?

would sudo work for you?
you can "allow" a single command for a user, and even use that via a
hardcoded call in your ssh authorized_keys.

Also maybe you wanna look (google) a script xen-balance.rb (i think
that was the name), which can already balance between dom0s. It could
use some more work but might be a great start.

Flo

--
the purpose of libvirt is to provide an abstraction layer hiding all
xen features added since 2006 until they were finally understood and

Re: start up script for "xentop"

Gautam

Thanks Florian,
Sudo will work.
but i don't want to give the password.
i wrote a script which uses xentop command.

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Florian Heigl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

2011/2/11 Gautam <[hidden email]>:
> i want to add the automatic live migration features in XEN.
> i am facing one issue regarding xentop command.
> Is it possible to run the xentop command in normaluser mode or withou
> supplying the password ?

would sudo work for you?
you can "allow" a single command for a user, and even use that via a
hardcoded call in your ssh authorized_keys.

Also maybe you wanna look (google) a script xen-balance.rb (i think
that was the name), which can already balance between dom0s. It could
use some more work but might be a great start.

Flo

--
the purpose of libvirt is to provide an abstraction layer hiding all
xen features added since 2006 until they were finally understood and
copied by the kvm devs.

--
Regards
Gautam

Re: start up script for "xentop"

Peter Phaal
You might want to take a look at the Host sFlow daemon:

http://host-sflow.sourceforge.net/

It exports all the dom0 and domN statistics from xentop, along with
additional dom0 CPU, memory, disk and network I/O statistics, making
it easy to monitor all the servers in your live migration pool from a
central location, providing the data you would need for load
balancing.

The following article provides links to resources and tools for
developing applications that support the sFlow standard:

http://blog.sflow.com/2010/01/developer-resources.html

Peter

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 7:00 AM, Gautam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Florian,
> Sudo will work.
> but i don't want to give the password.
> i wrote a script which uses xentop command.
>
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Florian Heigl <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 2011/2/11 Gautam <[hidden email]>:
>> > i want to add the automatic live migration features in XEN.
>> > i am facing one issue regarding xentop command.
>> > Is it possible to run the xentop command in normaluser mode or withou
>> > supplying the password ?
>>
>> would sudo work for you?
>> you can "allow" a single command for a user, and even use that via a
>> hardcoded call in your ssh authorized_keys.
>>
>> Also maybe you wanna look (google) a script xen-balance.rb (i think
>> that was the name), which can already balance between dom0s. It could
>> use some more work but might be a great start.
>>
>> Flo
>>
>> --
>> the purpose of libvirt is to provide an abstraction layer hiding all
>> xen features added since 2006 until they were finally understood and
>> copied by the kvm devs.
>

> --
> Regards
> Gautam

Re: start up script for "xentop"

Simon Hobson-2
Gautam wrote:

>Sudo will work.
>but i don't want to give the password.

sudo can be setup like that - ie you can configure one user (or group
or ...) to be able to run a privileged command without having to give
a password. You'll have to read the docs, I've only done it once and
I can't recall how.

BTW - heed the advice to use visudo to edit the sudoers file. If you
mess up sudoers then you may well find that you can't do anything,
even as root ! I'll leave you to guess how I know that :-/

--
Simon Hobson

Visit http://www.magpiesnestpublishing.co.uk/ for books by acclaimed

Re: start up script for "xentop"

Gautam
@Simon...
thanks
i got it.
i enable the root login.
and now i am able to do what i want.
regarding visudo..i tried that but i couldn't succed..:(

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Simon Hobson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gautam wrote:

Sudo will work.
but i don't want to give the password.

sudo can be setup like that - ie you can configure one user (or group or ...) to be able to run a privileged command without having to give a password. You'll have to read the docs, I've only done it once and I can't recall how.

BTW - heed the advice to use visudo to edit the sudoers file. If you mess up sudoers then you may well find that you can't do anything, even as root ! I'll leave you to guess how I know that :-/

--
Simon Hobson

Regards
Gautam

Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] start up script for "xentop"

Thomas Goirand-2
On 02/12/2011 11:00 PM, Gautam wrote:

> Thanks Florian,
> Sudo will work.
> but i don't want to give the password.
> i wrote a script which uses *xentop* command.
You don't need to give any password if you setup /etc/sudoers correctly.
Something like that will do:

%xenusers       ALL= NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/xm top

In this case %xenusers is a group. Just let every xm top users join this
group for example.

Thomas