supported distributions

Arijit Ganguly
All,

I was wondering what distributions of linux are supported inside Xen. I built the Xen kernel image on my Red Hat Enterprise 3 machine, and then specify the menu.conf entry as:
title Xen
kernel xen.gz dom0_mem=128000
module vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen0 root=/dev/sda6 ro console=tty0

When I boot this image, I get an error like
unable to mount root sda6

Ithe Red Hat Enterprise3 image however mounts it perfectly fine.

My machine is dell pe1800 dual processor (server class). i hope Xen is not just confined to desktops, because it wrked fine on a debian desktop.

Arijit

Re: supported distributions

Mark Porter-4
If  you used the xen installer, it installed a kernel with very limited
support for block devices. It looks like you are using at least a SCSI
HBA or maybe even a RAID controller. The driver for this interface is
probably not in the default kernel. Most distributions either install a
kernel with the driver for your hardware built-in or  an initial ram
disk image with the driver.

The easiest solution is to
    download the source, and expand the xen-2.0 directory
    cd to the xen-2.0 directory and run "make world"
    cd into the linux-2.6.11-xen0 directory and run "make ARCH=xen
xconfig" (or menuconfig if you don't have X)
    build whatever drivers you need  for the hard drives into the
kernel, make modules for everything else (usb support, other
filesystems, network cards, etc)
    cd ../ to the xen-2.0 directory
    run "make install"

That should build and install your custom kernel.

Good luck,
Mark

Arijit Ganguly wrote:

>All,
>
>I was wondering what distributions of linux are supported inside Xen. I
>built the Xen kernel image on my Red Hat Enterprise 3 machine, and then
>specify the menu.conf entry as:
>title Xen
>kernel xen.gz dom0_mem=128000
>module vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen0 root=/dev/sda6 ro console=tty0
>
>When I boot this image, I get an error like
>unable to mount root sda6
>
>Ithe Red Hat Enterprise3 image however mounts it perfectly fine.
>
>My machine is dell pe1800 dual processor (server class). i hope Xen is not
>just confined to desktops, because it wrked fine on a debian desktop.
>
>Arijit

Re: supported distributions

Arijit Ganguly
I rebuilt my custom kernel, with extensive support for RAID.
I am still not able to boot XenLinux.

These are the last few lines that I see before the system reboots.

md: autodetecting RAID arrays
md: autorun DONE
Root-NFS: No NFS server available
VFS: unable to mount rootsfs via NFS, trying floppy
VFS: insert root floppy and press enter
Cannot open root=sda5 or unknown block(2,0)

One another note my boot device is /dev/sda5, just to make sure that Xen may have issues with extended and primary partitions.

any clues.

Arijit

Arijit

Arijit Ganguly wrote:

>All,
>
>I was wondering what distributions of linux are supported inside Xen. I
>built the Xen kernel image on my Red Hat Enterprise 3 machine, and then
>specify the menu.conf entry as:
>title Xen
>kernel xen.gz dom0_mem=128000
>module vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen0 root=/dev/sda6 ro console=tty0
>
>When I boot this image, I get an error like
>unable to mount root sda6

>Ithe Red Hat Enterprise3 image however mounts it perfectly fine.
>
>My machine is dell pe1800 dual processor (server class). i hope Xen is not
>just confined to desktops, because it wrked fine on a debian desktop.
>
>Arijit

Re: supported distributions

Mark Williamson-9
Are you sure you enabled support for your SCSI controller? That looks like
the most likely problem here.

Cheers,
Mark

On Jun 8 2005, Arijit Ganguly wrote:

> (Message body was not text: suppressed)

Re: supported distributions

James Bulpin-2
You probably need an initrd (even if the block device driver is compiled
in).

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.10-xen0.img 2.6.10-xen0

and add the corresponding line to grub

module initrd-2.6.10-xen0.img

James

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 01:42, Arijit Ganguly wrote:

> [...]
>
>         >All,
>         >
>         >I was wondering what distributions of linux are supported
>         inside Xen. I
>         >built the Xen kernel image on my Red Hat Enterprise 3
>         machine, and then
>         >specify the menu.conf entry as:
>         >title Xen
>         >kernel xen.gz dom0_mem=128000
>         >module vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen0 root=/dev/sda6 ro console=tty0
>         >
>         >When I boot this image, I get an error like
>         >unable to mount root sda6
>         >
>         >Ithe Red Hat Enterprise3 image however mounts it perfectly
>         fine.
>         >
>         >My machine is dell pe1800 dual processor (server class). i
>         hope Xen is not
>         >just confined to desktops, because it wrked fine on a debian

Vipin Bhargava
I had the same issues.

The solution was to compile the drivers (SCSI or SATA) into the
kernel.  Do NOT use modules.

Then mkinitrd a new initrd, however, use the flag "--builtin <module>"
to tell it that the driver is built into the kernel itself.

Rebooting using that made it work.  (Is this a bug that should
be reported?)

I'm using x86_64, where is it at for that? Besides dom0, can
I boot other domains yet?

Thanks,
Vip

Re: supported distributions

Arijit Ganguly
I guess the reason why it is failing is the lack of driver support for dual drive bus existing  on dell pe1800.

Besides, I have also been trying to recompile the kernel but end up getting an error in some driver.c file.

I did the following:
Inside: xen-2.0
make world
cd linux-2.6.10-xen0
make ARCH=xen menuconfig
//selected my drivers and modules
make
I get error in balloon.c, in function balloon_process
line 210: phys_to_machine_mapping undeclared
line 210: INVALID_P2M_ENTRY undeclared.

any clues
Arijit

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 19:14, Arijit Ganguly wrote:

> I guess the reason why it is failing is the lack of driver support for
> dual drive bus existing  on dell pe1800.
>
> Besides, I have also been trying to recompile the kernel but end up
> getting an error in some driver.c file.
>
> I did the following:
> Inside: xen-2.0
> make world
> cd linux-2.6.10-xen0
> make ARCH=xen menuconfig
> //selected my drivers and modules
> make

try "make ARCH=xen" instead.

> I get error in balloon.c, in function balloon_process
> line 210: phys_to_machine_mapping undeclared
> line 210: INVALID_P2M_ENTRY undeclared.
>
> any clues
> Arijit

Re: supported distributions

Daniel Meinhold
Am Mittwoch, den 08.06.2005, 11:14 -0700 schrieb Arijit Ganguly:

> I guess the reason why it is failing is the lack of driver support for
> dual drive bus existing  on dell pe1800.
>
> Besides, I have also been trying to recompile the kernel but end up
> getting an error in some driver.c file.
>
> I did the following:
> Inside: xen-2.0
> make world
> cd linux-2.6.10-xen0
> make ARCH=xen menuconfig
> //selected my drivers and modules
> make
> I get error in balloon.c, in function balloon_process
> line 210: phys_to_machine_mapping undeclared
> line 210: INVALID_P2M_ENTRY undeclared.
you need to append ARCH=xen to your make command
e.g.

make ARCH=xen menuconfig
make ARCH=xen all

Cheers,

Daniel

Re: supported distributions

Daniel Meinhold
Am Dienstag, den 07.06.2005, 17:42 -0700 schrieb Arijit Ganguly:
[snip]
> Cannot open root=sda5 or unknown block(2,0)
>
> One another note my boot device is /dev/sda5, just to make sure that
> Xen may have issues with extended and primary partitions.

Maybe try to add an extra line to your grub configuration like

root (hdX,X) # replace X with the appropriate partition numbers

Cheers,

Daniel

Re: supported distributions

Arijit Ganguly
when i compile using make arch=xen, i see the following error message:
drivers/scsi/pci2000.c: In function `Pci2000_QueueCommand':
drivers/scsi/pci2000.c:512: structure has no member named `nextSg'
drivers/scsi/pci2000.c:537: structure has no member named `nextSg'
drivers/scsi/pci2000.c: At top level:
drivers/scsi/pci2000.c:825: unknown field `abort' specified in initializer
drivers/scsi/pci2000.c:825: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
drivers/scsi/pci2000.c:826: unknown field `reset' specified in initializer
drivers/scsi/pci2000.c:826: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
make[5]: *** [drivers/scsi/pci2000.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [drivers/scsi] Error 2
make[3]: *** [drivers] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/xen/xen-2.0/linux-2.6.10-xen0'
make[2]: *** [build] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/xen/xen-2.0'
make[1]: *** [linux-2.6-xen0-build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/xen/xen-2.0'
make: *** [kernels] Error 1

Arijit

On 6/8/05, Daniel Meinhold <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 07.06.2005, 17:42 -0700 schrieb Arijit Ganguly:
[snip]
> Cannot open root=sda5 or unknown block(2,0)
>
> One another note my boot device is /dev/sda5, just to make sure that
> Xen may have issues with extended and primary partitions.

Maybe try to add an extra line to your grub configuration like

root (hdX,X) # replace X with the appropriate partition numbers

Cheers,

Daniel

BodyID:106122826.2.n.logpart (stored separately)

Re: supported distributions

James Bulpin
This SCSI driver is broken - the driver hasn't been touched for years and
the API has changed around it. You may have noticed that you have to turn
off "Select only drivers expected to compile cleanly" to have the option
of building it.

Curiously, the complaints about lines 512 and 537 don't match with the
code in the standard tree:

drivers/scsi/pci2000.c:512: error: structure has no member named `address'
drivers/scsi/pci2000.c:537: error: structure has no member named `address'

Have you applied a patch to this driver?

Anyway, not a Xen problem.

James