vcpu-pin ?

Nicholas Lee
I'm I reading this as meaning a single VCPU domain can be switch from
one 'real' CPU to another and back again?

  vcpu-pin <DomId> <VCpu> <CPUS>    set which cpus a VCPU can use.

--
Nicholas Lee
http://stateless.geek.nz

RE: vcpu-pin ?

Ian Pratt

> I'm I reading this as meaning a single VCPU domain can be
> switch from one 'real' CPU to another and back again?
>
>   vcpu-pin <DomId> <VCpu> <CPUS>    set which cpus a VCPU can use.

SMP domains have multiple VCPUs, so you can specify which VCPU the pin
operation refers to.

The CPUs parameter can actually be a list of eligible physical CPUs.

[NB: I'm actually not sure how useful this command is -- its probably
easier from a user point of view to specify a set of physcial CPUS for a
domain, and have eiher xen or xend allocate VCPUs to eligible physical
CPUs]

Ian

Re: vcpu-pin ?

Ryan Harper
* Ian Pratt <[hidden email]> [2005-10-13 09:01]:

> > I'm I reading this as meaning a single VCPU domain can be
> > switch from one 'real' CPU to another and back again?
> >
> >   vcpu-pin <DomId> <VCpu> <CPUS>    set which cpus a VCPU can use.
>
> SMP domains have multiple VCPUs, so you can specify which VCPU the pin
> operation refers to.
>
> The CPUs parameter can actually be a list of eligible physical CPUs.
>
> [NB: I'm actually not sure how useful this command is -- its probably
> easier from a user point of view to specify a set of physcial CPUS for a
> domain, and have eiher xen or xend allocate VCPUs to eligible physical
> CPUs]

Working on this right now.  I had introduced a field, allocmap, which
was to specify which physical cpus vcpus would be allowed to use when
being created.  I am reworking the patch now that we have build-time
vcpu allocation and plan to convert the allocmap into a series of pincpu
operations.

--
Ryan Harper
IBM Corp., Austin, Tx