vifs and netwroking

Mike & Deb Hoesing
Thanks James
My /lib/modules/2.6.10-xen0/build/include/linux/netfilter directory has
the file ip_tables.ko but does not have the file iptables_netfilter.ko.
depmod -av complains that ip_connecttrack can not find
        ip_connecttrack_expect_related
        ip_connecttrack_expect_put
        ip_connecttrack_expect_allocate
        ip_connecttrack_helper_register
        ip_connecttrack_helper_unregister

My unaltered kernel 2.6.9.667 does not have iptables_netfilter.ko either
but iptables works fine in that unaltered kernel.

If I install a newer version of iptables, it wants to know the
KERNEL_DIR for the location of kernel source and Fedora does not provide
the kernel source. So I'm kinda stuck making iptables 1.2.11 work.

The default configs for our dom0 and domU kernels has CONFIG_KMOD set
which should allow the relevant modules to be automatically loaded when
the iptables command is run.

Can you check you have the modules installed in dom0 correctly and that
/lib/modules/2.6.11.11-xen0/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ (varied for your
kernel version) is full of modules including ip_tables.ko and
iptables_netfilter.ko. You could also try a 'depmod -a' and reboot.

Re: vifs and netwroking

James Bulpin-2
Mike & Deb Hoesing wrote:
> Thanks James
> My /lib/modules/2.6.10-xen0/build/include/linux/netfilter directory has
> the file ip_tables.ko but does not have the file iptables_netfilter.ko.

Oops, my Monday morning mistake (I should have actually looked at a
machine first): should be iptable_filter.ko.

> depmod -av complains that ip_connecttrack can not find
> ip_connecttrack_expect_related
> ip_connecttrack_expect_put
> ip_connecttrack_expect_allocate
> ip_connecttrack_helper_register
> ip_connecttrack_helper_unregister

(I assume they were all "conntrack"?)

Interesting, those functions are implemented by that module as far I know.

Did you build your own xen0 kernel? If so, can you post your .config as
an attachment and maybe also a listing of
/lib/modules/2.6.10-xen0/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/

> My unaltered kernel 2.6.9.667 does not have iptables_netfilter.ko either
> but iptables works fine in that unaltered kernel.
>
> If I install a newer version of iptables, it wants to know the
> KERNEL_DIR for the location of kernel source and Fedora does not provide
> the kernel source. So I'm kinda stuck making iptables 1.2.11 work.

1.2.11 should work fine.

James