Quantcast

ways to help improve network performance

ways to help improve network performance

Shaun Reitan
I'm looking for any bit of info that any of you may have to help improve
performance to Dom0/U's.  Performance is fine as long as the host doesnt
have much going on but if you have a few domU's eating a good amount of
resources it will cause the latency to go up.  Right now i'm seeing a
30-60ms increase in latency. Host is a Dual Xeon with HT disabled.  Dom0 is
assigned both cpu's while domU's are given 1 cpu and distributed evenly
between cpu 0 and 1.

--

~Shaun

Re: ways to help improve network performance

buw20031220
Did you try a pci passthrough of the Networking cards.
Usually these servers are having dual nics at least. You leave one for dom0 and
another one is being passed to the most time-critical domU ?
Winfried

Zitat von Shaun <[hidden email]>:

> I'm looking for any bit of info that any of you may have to help improve
> performance to Dom0/U's.  Performance is fine as long as the host doesnt
> have much going on but if you have a few domU's eating a good amount of
> resources it will cause the latency to go up.  Right now i'm seeing a
> 30-60ms increase in latency. Host is a Dual Xeon with HT disabled.  Dom0 is
> assigned both cpu's while domU's are given 1 cpu and distributed evenly
> between cpu 0 and 1.

Re: ways to help improve network performance

Pasi Kärkkäinen
On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 02:21:27AM -0700, Shaun wrote:
> I'm looking for any bit of info that any of you may have to help improve
> performance to Dom0/U's.  Performance is fine as long as the host doesnt
> have much going on but if you have a few domU's eating a good amount of
> resources it will cause the latency to go up.  Right now i'm seeing a
> 30-60ms increase in latency. Host is a Dual Xeon with HT disabled.  Dom0 is
> assigned both cpu's while domU's are given 1 cpu and distributed evenly
> between cpu 0 and 1.

I did these steps to improve network performance with xen 3:

1. Assigned one CPU (hyperthread) _only_ for dom0
2. Changed the (default) xen scheduler to BVT
3. Changed the default linux io elevators from anticipatory -> cfq

-- Pasi

Re: ways to help improve network performance

Shaun Reitan
> 1. Assigned one CPU (hyperthread) _only_ for dom0

I did this with my initial testing but in the end i disabled HT because i
was told it would hurt performance.  Somthing about each HT shares the same
cache.  Anybody have more info on this?

> 2. Changed the (default) xen scheduler to BVT

Can this only be done by adding sched=bvt to the boot option or can it be
done some how on a live running host?

> 3. Changed the default linux io elevators from anticipatory -> cfq

when you build dom0 and domU did you set both to cfq or just domU?

~Shaun