xen and Debian kernel package

Olaf-3
Hi,

I'm about to roll a few machines out with xen and it's likely that I
have to change the kernel configuration from the stock xenU kernel.
What do you reckon, is it more efficient to compile a kernel on every
machine using the 2.0.6-src archive or would it make sense to invest
the time to figure out how to compile a kernel and modules using
Debian's kernel package and deploy the packages?
Could be that I'm totally on the wrong track, but I assume that I can
use that to deploy modules and header files against the kernel I booted
the vm from.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
        Olaf

Re: xen and Debian kernel package

andy smith-10
On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 10:15:38PM +0200, Olaf wrote:
> I'm about to roll a few machines out with xen and it's likely that I
> have to change the kernel configuration from the stock xenU kernel.
> What do you reckon, is it more efficient to compile a kernel on every
> machine using the 2.0.6-src archive or would it make sense to invest
> the time to figure out how to compile a kernel and modules using
> Debian's kernel package and deploy the packages?

Hi Olaf,

I use Debian for my Dom0 and most of my domUs.  Here is what I do:

- Download and unpack xen-testing, make sure I have python-twisted
  and all other dependencies.

- Make and install the tools.

- In the Xen Makefile, remove any kernels I'm not interested
  in.  basically everything except linux 2.6:

KERNELS ?= linux-2.6-xen0 linux-2.6-xenU
# linux-2.4-xen0 linux-2.4-xenU netbsd-2.0-xenU

- Do "make mkpatches" to get a patch against vanilla kernel source.

- Download the latest pristine kernel that xen-testing supports,
  apply the xen patch to it.

- Build and configure it the Debian way:

$ sudo make-kpkg --config=menuconfig --arch=xen --revision=1 --append-to-version=hostnamexen0 kernel_image

that will leave me with a kernel-image...deb in /usr/src

- Repeat again for domU kernels:

$ sudo make-kpkg --config=menuconfig --arch=xen --revision=1 --append-to-version=hostnamexenu clean
$ sudo make-kpkg --config=menuconfig --arch=xen --revision=1 --append-to-version=hostnamexenu kernel_image

I don't use modules or an initrd but I don't see any reason why that
will not work as normal.

There may be a quicker way to get patched kernel source without
building it (so I can build it the debian way), but this is the way
I know and know works.

Hope that helps,
Andy

Re: xen and Debian kernel package

Remi Broemeling
Hi Olaf -- also, in addition to Andy's suggestions, there is a nice
page regarding building debianized xen-kernels here:

http://www.xmlvalidation.com/xen_howto_sarge.0.html

Very well done, by Christopher Westerfield.

Good luck!

On 6/13/05, Remi Broemeling <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Olaf -- also, in addition to Andy's suggestions, there is a nice
> page regarding building debianized xen-kernels here:
>
> http://www.xmlvalidation.com/xen_howto_sarge.0.html
>
> Very well done, by Christopher Westerfield.
>
> Good luck!

Apologies, I was in a hurry and made the wrong attribution.  The page
is written by Christian Wicke, it was just mentioned in an e-mail from
Christopher.