xenU/glibc/nptl on RHEL 4/Centos 4.1

Manuel da Costa
Hi all,

Anyone have rebuilt glibc (x86/32) rpms for RHEL 4/Centos 4.1 with the gcc's -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs flag available around ? (to avoid performance drop on top of a NPTL based Dom0). Unfortunatelly we have around a closed source app that breaks if i disable NPTL...

Many Thanxs in advance,

Best Regards

António

Re: xenU/glibc/nptl on RHEL 4/Centos 4.1

Jeb Campbell
The Smoking Man wrote:
> Anyone have rebuilt glibc (x86/32) rpms for RHEL 4/Centos 4.1 with the
> gcc's -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs flag available around ? (to avoid
> performance drop on top of a NPTL based Dom0). Unfortunatelly we have
> around a closed source app that breaks if i disable NPTL...

I would be willing to test if you can get a hold of them.  Too busy to
rebuild myself (and haven't used rpms in a while).

As a side note, I used the great images at http://jailtime.org to
jumpstart a centos 4.1 and zimbra install, but had all kinds of problems
until I re-enabled /lib/tls.  I would love to see if this would help and
get rid of all the warning messages from xen.

--
Jeb Campbell

Re: xenU/glibc/nptl on RHEL 4/Centos 4.1

Ted Kaczmarek
On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 08:44 -0500, Jeb Campbell wrote:

> The Smoking Man wrote:
> > Anyone have rebuilt glibc (x86/32) rpms for RHEL 4/Centos 4.1 with the
> > gcc's -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs flag available around ? (to avoid
> > performance drop on top of a NPTL based Dom0). Unfortunatelly we have
> > around a closed source app that breaks if i disable NPTL...
>
> I would be willing to test if you can get a hold of them.  Too busy to
> rebuild myself (and haven't used rpms in a while).
>
> As a side note, I used the great images at http://jailtime.org to
> jumpstart a centos 4.1 and zimbra install, but had all kinds of problems
> until I re-enabled /lib/tls.  I would love to see if this would help and
> get rid of all the warning messages from xen.

Always nice when someone beats you to a todo list item :-)

With the jailtime images what do you mean by renabling tls?
I have been using them with no issues( that I am aware of yet ) and the
tls libs are moved in my setup.

Regards,
Ted

Re: xenU/glibc/nptl on RHEL 4/Centos 4.1

Manuel da Costa
The jailtime.org images disable NPTL  (by moving /lib/tls –> /lib/tls.disabled). Some apps b0rk with this. With NPTL enabled xenU are slower *except* if the glibc is recompiled with a special gcc flag (-mno-tls-direct-seg-refs). Centos/RHEL is no gentoo and rebuilding glibc proved to be tricky, so i 'm  in search of a kinda soul with  the same needs as i am that was able to rebuild glibc (with -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs) and kinda enough to share the new rpms...

All the Best...

António.

The Smoking Man wrote:
> The jailtime.org <http://jailtime.org> images disable NPTL  (by moving
> /lib/tls –> /lib/tls.disabled). Some apps b0rk with this. With NPTL
> enabled xenU are slower *except* if the glibc is recompiled with a
> special gcc flag (-mno-tls-direct-seg-refs). Centos/RHEL is no gentoo
> and rebuilding glibc proved to be tricky, so i 'm  in search of a kinda
> soul with  the same needs as i am that was able to rebuild glibc (with
> -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs) and kinda enough to share the new rpms...

Yeah, I got b0rked trying to install zimbra...

Ok -- enough arm twisting, I'm trying to build it ;) -- been on my list
of things to do for a while.

Trying to rebuild the stock rpm now and when I can successfully do that,
I'll add the flags, rebuild, and test.

And the kind folks at jailtime.org said they would host the rpm and
intructions.

Should have something by lunch.

All I have to do is add "-mno-tls-direct-seg-refs" to the CFLAGS right?
   (with gcc version 3.4.3 20050227 (Red Hat 3.4.3-22.1) )?

Jeb

Re: xenU/glibc/nptl on RHEL 4/Centos 4.1

Manuel da Costa
I supose so. At least that is what i do on gentoo, and it works...

Regards,

António